how do i learn to communicate with my 14 yr old without probing

all he wants to talk about r games and music which is normal for a teen but he lives with his dad now and i want to talk to him on phn and when he is with me and it is like pulling teeth.

nanny94

Asked by nanny94 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I would just make sure that he knows he can come to you with anything. Sometimes it is best to say I am here for you and then let him come to you.

I would still ask the questions, just don't hound him to much. I think that if you keep bugging him about things, then instead of talking to you you are going to push him further away.

Remind him that you love him and only want the best for him. Talk to him about the things he is interested in and ask questions about the things you want to know.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I ask him first if he wants to tell me anything, and then start from there. I have a great kid, he's a little quiet but I know he keeps stuff from me. I try to trust him though which makes him tell me more. I ask and try to stay involved in what is going on with his friends.
    crazymomjen

Answer by crazymomjen at 10:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ya know what? Your son is a teen therefore he has the mind of a teen, and while we the parents think our teens are delusional and stuff they talk about is boring, it is our job to make sure that things that make them happy and excited important to us as it is to them. I will bet you top dollars if you just take a little time to show him YOUR INTERESTED IN HIM and things he likes, he will come around and be more willing to talk about about life, and what not. i know this for a fact because I used to be annoyed with my daughter's Jr high non sense and it really hurt her feelings and she rejected me. When I stopped with my attitude now she cannot wait to talk to me and once she gets her high of excitement out we can generally talk about anything.
    Mooska

Answer by Mooska at 7:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2008