record gains in poverty in 2009?

What does this mean to you?
to the coming elections?

Is it really not as important as middle class unemployment, and why do you think that?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Reagan's policies were  TRICKLE DOWN  PROSPERITY.

Obama's polices are TRICKLE UP POVERTY.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think what defines true poverty needs to be redefined. I think today's poverty means not having a computer, cell phone, cable or car--the luxuries that we seem not to be able to live without. When the definition of poverty of years past meant not having enough food, clothing or adequate shelter.

I think much of what we're seeing in this country in terms of people becoming impoverished (by today's standards) has a lot to do with the choices they made and the order in which they made them. And people became dependent on two incomes just to get by, while living check to check, so much so, that when the rainy days came, they were ill-prepared.

The houses I see being sold in my development are less than 2 years old, were purchased at the absolute WORST time, for $400-500k and are now listed for about 65-70% of what the owners paid for them.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's not more or less important than unemployment, it's tied directly to it. It's not a question of standards, it's a question of basic living expenses. The threshhold used for the poverty line is not enough money in the majority of the country to pay rent and basic utilities. Screw cellphones and internet, people can't afford heat. Meaning, people living at or slightly above the official "poverty line" still don't have enough base income to pay rent, electricity, gas and water every month.

That includes all those 20-somethings who can't afford to move out of their parents' house. People want to discount that, but the truth is, the average person getting out of college cannot get a job that pays basic living expenses, let alone basic expenses + student loan payments. There are parts of the country where the only way to live "on your own" is to be married and have two incomes or to have a roommate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Not as important? I'd say one was the cause of the other. The middle class are now the poor.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's an Obamanation
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nothing really, because we are almost into 2011. Where it will immediately become much worse. I try my best to not revert to the past but prepare for the future. It's hard for me to say this, but in reading Forbes report on this yesterday according to the Census and Demographics the people got what they voted for. JMHO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We have a long way to go.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010