Is social anxiety paranoia?

For people who know about this illness please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• NO it is not exactly. Paranoia is a symptom. So not all people that have social anxiety have paranoia. Paranoia- is a thought process heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.
    I agree with posionousblonde. Some just simply dont like social situations. Google SA and you will find some websites of actual people with the disorder and then you will understand much more. Here you may only get simple unhelpful answer like as a professional. If you want more in site go there. Trust Me.
    Seterah1010

Answer by Seterah1010 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would not class the feelings the same as paranoia. I have social anxiety disorder and it stems mainly from a fear of embarrassing myself in public and that I am not as good as those around me, and they will realize that truth. its unrealistic of course. but its there just the same
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, I don't think they are the same. My grandma would have anxiety attacks if there was a large group of people. It wasn't paranoia, either. Crowds would literally freak her out.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think crowds hurt everyone, let's face it , if we don't serve a true purpose other than lingering or making up some line to say to a person on some level, it's embarrassing to have to need to apologize when seeing them again.
    I never like a surprise. Once thrown for me, I was kidding, and said, oh, just surprise me. I meant with something nice.... a good gift I'd never have dreamed to receive. I got a surprise party. ....nice try
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Ask your therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 4:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• There is a difference between social anxiety and paranoia.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 9:28 AM on Sep. 12, 2010