what are some good tips on teaching my 20 month old lil girl how to use big potty she knows when she has to go but wont tell us til after shes done

babykathy09

Asked by babykathy09 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she might not be ready. Give her a break for a couple weeks and try again. Good Luck :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• sounds then like she is not quite ready I would not STRESS her about it. you could just make sure you keep OFFERING for her to use the BIG GIRL potty, maybe get her some frilly girly underwear that she would not want to make a mess in.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yeah, even though my now 3 year old was very advanced, she potty trained when SHE was ready, not when I wanted her to. She used the potty a bit at 14 months, then quit, at 18 months again, and then quit and refused until she was 2.5, at which point she out of no where declared she had to potty, took her diaper off, and peed in the toilet. and has been completely potty trained since.

Every few months, give it another shot until she takes to it. there are great library books and videos you can get. let her wear just undies or go pantsless when at home.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 3:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my son started out that way too! this is where you come in. She might not quite have the connection yet, or the bladder/muscle control down (which happens naturally btw, no training required). When she has an accident, escort her to the potty. Tell her "you went pee pee! lets put the pee pee in your big kid potty!" She will put 2 and 2 together eventually! Get her some videos and books! My son loves older kids. So watching them talk about the basics of potty training along with songs and games really caught his attention and he learned quick!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She is not making the connection regarding the feeling of having to go. She will get it! Give her time.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 7:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010