How do you cope with Anxiety along with other disorders?

I have several issues but as of now the one that is bothering me most is my Anxiety I cant escape it lately and I am loosing it. i have OCD, PPD, PTSD and Anxiety. The Anxiety is what is really getting me right now I know my OCD is contributing to it cause we are outgrowing our home and it shows via all the crap accumulating. I have a fear that my home will look like when I was growing up as well my mother was and still is a hoarder. I DON'T WANT MY HOME TO BE COME OVERFILLED. I know I have a lot of questions lately about fear of things but I am telling you my Anxiety is getting to me how do you or have you coped with it? (I see a counselor and I am on PPD medication as well.)

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I see all your points too. But it's not a fix- it for long, especially is some trauma in a member of the family hits, and another one, and year and again, we have to be resilient. So my therapies are library, out time in the sun, looking for work, since it's time to do that at this time of year, puzzles, cleaning, laundry, organizing. And for the OCD it's non - stop , I think we all have it round the clock, and it's a label we tape to our demise. I would love the feeling of never wondering if PTSD, OCD, and PPD had to happen, but unfortunately .... it's just real life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't have that many problems, but I do suffer from PTSD, PPD, and some weird hormone flux that sends me over the deep end when I am pregnant. The way I deal with it is through exercise. When I can exercise on a regular basis, I do just fine. When I can't, I have to be on meds.
    I am currently pregnant and not able to exercise the way I want so I am researching online to find ways to exercise safely. Until then, I am on meds and seeing a therapist. After the baby is born, I will be doing hypnotherapy.
    Good luck you! And hang in there mama!
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 2:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. So I know exactly what your going through. The worst thing for me is social anxiety. I get panic attacks when in socail situations( anything that involves big groups of people, especailly people I don't know or arent comfortable being around.) I know its not good, but I try to avoind the things that causes my anxeity as much as I can. I also find that smoking helps me alot(I know this is really bad but its not like thats the only reason I smoke) I have tried a few different meds, but none really helped...and because of the social....therapy didnt work at all since I couldnt talk to them.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 3:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Try journaling. Some people find running water soothing. But if you have OCD that may lead to a hand washing compulsion. Try the AWARE technique for the anxiety, Acknowledge it, Work with or around it as you normally would, Assess it, Repeat. Deep breathing exercises. Positive self talk. Thought stopping.
    dragonlady320

Answer by dragonlady320 at 10:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's very hard to see outside the box! Thats for sure! I have anxiety issues and an OCD. I basically do behavioral therapy on myself. If the OCD is about to take over, I try to step back and study what the trigger is. Boredom, stress, worry...etc...whatever is causing the anxiety. if i'm in the right state of mind I can usually focus my attention elsewhere. Talk to someone, do chores, go outside for some fresh air...etc. and I get over my OCD urge. But it's not that easy. Easier said than done!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with phoenixfire above that exercise is an excellent way to reduce anxiety....I don't suffer from anxiety disorders myself, but my children do and i can see how much exercise helps them....and once in a while when i do experience anxiety (though not chronic), I find exercise helps me get through it......
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have PTSD and I suffer from anxiety. My Dr had me on Valium and Zoloft, but I quit taking them a long time ago. I refuse to talk to a therapist. I had to once and I would just dance around what my issues are. I don't open up to people, because I don't trust anyone. I keep everything bottled up inside and hope it all just goes away.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010