how

how do i stop myself from spending money i really dont have

babykathy09

Asked by babykathy09 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• That is a good question! DH and I have the same problem.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 3:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Cut up your credit cards and use cash only. If you don't have the cash, you can't spend it. Look up Dave Ramsey, he has tons of great tips on budgeting. There is a group here called Dave Ramsey Fans.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Live within your means, don't buy what you don't need. Know what your needs are, use cash only. Make a budget and stick to it. You can't go wrong.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 3:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Grow up
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree with slw! If you use cash, you can't spend money you don't have. I also wonder why you are spending money you don't have- do you not earn enough? Are you spending too much on eating out, cable, internet, entertainment, and then running short on necessities like diapers, clothes, fuel, and food?

I would strongly recommend the Dave Ramsey group as well. I would also recommend a written budget where you and your SO decide what you're going to spend money on and how much. That way when you or your SO gets paid you'll know exactly where that money is going. And it will be less tempting to blow it.

GOOD LUCK!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't use your CC, and look at your bank statements online often. Know what you need for bills, and see if you have any left.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't ask me... I'm probably the worst overspender I've ever met! :(
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 4:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't use credit cards.
    When you get paid, use the envelope method: put the mortgage money in the mortgage envelope; put the electric bill money in its own envelope, etc.
    Or, grow up, make a budget, and stick with it.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Cut up credit cards and mail them to credit company and tell them to cancel the account(s).
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You simply stay home. What I mean by that is, you only go to the store once a week. You make a list throughout the week of every item you need, when you go the store, only get what's on your list. You are not alone, as most people do the same thing you are doing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010