Baby doesnt want to sleep on his back

My baby only wants to sleep on his tummy or side. I am TERRIFIED of sids and at my witts end on what to do. I tried elevating his mattress thinking maybe acid reflux or something and that did nothing. I lay him on his side to sleep and check him every few minutes until he is in a deep enough sleep to put on his back without waking him, but this is very time consuming for night time feedings (he is 4 weeks old) Any ideas?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• our son sleeps on his stomach, i too was a bit worried about SIDS but i noticed how he slept on his back, with his check flat against the mattress and when he's on his tummy, same thing.. we let him sleep on his stomach starting at about 5 weeks, besides once they learn to roll over, there really isnt much you can do. We put our son to bed on his tummy and then when i go to bed, i roll him over.. he sleeps with a fan on, and a new study just came out, that said that air circulation helped reduce SIDS chances, not that will change your fear, but any info is good. Good Luck to you
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my baby is 12 weeks old and has ALWays slept on his tummy, so did my first child. i am more afraid that he will choke if he spits up if he is on his back, i breast feed so i don't always wake him up to burp him. i don't know how long you have to worry about sids...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• my daughter is 4 months old and has never slept on her back when she sleeps at night. when she takes naps she will from time to time but thats only in her swing. i was terrified of sids to for the first few months. she was an amazing sleeper but i would never sleep cause i was worried about her. now i dont even worry about it, i asked my mom about it and she said i always slept on my tummy too when i was a baby and i eventually just started sleeping on my back when i got older so i figure my daughter will do the same. i just make sure theres nothing in her crib when she sleeps..i keep her blanket waist down and make sure the mattress is complelty flat.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• mine started doing that at 3 weeks!! even after i flipped her back over n her back she would roll on her side again. I still battle and dont sleep at night because now she wont stay off her belly!

There is a pad you can put under the mattress that set's an alarm off if the baby stops breathing. Maybe that will ease your mind some. And if you learn how to keep 'em on their back, pls let me know!

If you want to see a link to that pad... go to my journal "my scare" and there is a link to a group post with the pad in the responses. (when the groups come back up)
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 1:11 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• one more thing.. if your baby has regained birth weight size, you dont have to wake them up in the middle of the night for a feeding. Unless you were instructed to... we were lucky, i only had to wait three weeks for him to gain that one pound he lost. I think he thanked me for that one.. he's been sleeping thru the night since he was about 4-5 weeks old... took another week to get me used to not having him in our room LOL
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i dont wake him up he gets up on his own every hour to two hours. He is a preemie and is in the catch up phase so he eats like a baby on a mission
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My son started that a month or two ago. He's 9 months old. I don't worry about it. It's normal.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 2:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Some babies do sleep better on their stomach. SIDS Aliance and American Academy of Pediatrics don't recommend. A new product was just introduced to help babies sleep better and longer on their back. Its called the Magic Sleep suit. Check it out at www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous