she still has a bottle at almost 2yrs old

Iv tryed a dozen plus times to take my dd off a bottle but she wont go to sleep without it. Iv givin her a cup at bed time and it normally just gets thrown. She has no problem using a cup during the day. Sneeky little booger will even take my 4 month olds bottle and go hide and drink it if i set it down for a minute.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 3:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We would give my son a cup with warm milk in it. He now goes to bed without it, but he will not drink milk without it warm lol.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i am going to be blunt,. please dont mistake this for RUDE. YOU ARE THE ADULT. honestly YOU control these things. yes you wil feel horrible, guilty, and irritated the first few days after taking her bottle away. but at almost 2 ther is no excuse for her still using a bottle. she is a BIG GIRL now. If you ddint keep giving in she would eventually take to using a cup. You need to step up here in parenting. maybe get her a fancy pretty sippy cup with her name or picture on it. something VERY special and make a ceremony out of the GIVING UP THE BOTTLE AND GROWING UP stage. that amost 2 year old girls just dont USE bottles. its BABYISH. ya know ? make it special and then STICK TO IT.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 3:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You're just going to have to either put up with her having a bottle or stick to your guns when you take it away for good and put up with her screaming for it. She is manipulating you by screaming to get her way and you are enabling her b/c you're giving in to her demands by letting the screaming get to you and she knows it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would just let her go to bed one night with no milk or whatever you give her. Yeah she'll probably throw a fit but thats going to happen anyways when you take it away. Then the next night try a sippy before bed and if that doesnt work just dont give her anything again that night that way she will see the only way she will get milk is in a sippy. Just make sure you give her milk during the day that way if she doesnt take it at night. My son was 12 months when we took it away and yeah the first couple of nights wasnt so great but it worked. Here's a bump. Good luck!
    giovannismom19

Answer by giovannismom19 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• What I did with Samuel was put half formula and half whole milk in it and eventually increase the whole milk to where it's barely/no formula. She might fight you with it once it's completely milk for a day or two..but I just kept tellin' Samuel..get thirsty enough you'll drink it (cause daddy refused to buy formula anymore once he hit a year old. lol).
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 3:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I took my kids off the bottle by 1 y/o and told them it got broke so I threw it away. They cried a little but eventually they got over it.
    moonspell1

Answer by moonspell1 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• its goingto be hard considering you have another baby in the house....i would say just throw all the bottles away but you cant. she seroiusly likes the babys formula??? yuk! maybe you can give something like pickle juice in the bottle and a cup full of milk and make it kind of a mental thing....eventually she will stop choosing the bottle right?
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't worry about it, he will get off the bottle. My DD was almost three by the time she got off the bottle. She just saw that other kids her age were drinking from sippy cups so I think that encouraged her to give it up.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• BlackSheep is right. Your the adult. Throw the bottles away and stick to the cups. Your child isn't going to dehydrate herself. Let her throw the tantrum and get over it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• she*
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010