How do you deal with an older sibling telling the younger one do something that they know they shouldn't?

guardwife10

Asked by guardwife10 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• punish the older child and let the little one know that it was not ok. my 8 year old does this all the time! argh! i usually give her a time out or if its something really bad like go climb the tree to get onto the roof then its grounding time.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Unfortunately grounding a four year old is a difficult task. And I always feel bad for putting the 2 year old in time out when her sister told her to do it.
    guardwife10

Comment by guardwife10 (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• In my home, that would be a spankable offence. What if she tells her to do something that is dangerous and the litte one harms herself? I would spank the older one for giving instructions to the younger one.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i got the same problem. she just got her cartoons back. she was grounded for a week cuz she had her sister sneak some candy instead of asking. i always take the tv and vidoe games away. we went four months with no tv.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• talking about the consequences and how dangerous it can be is a good start. Make it clear how important it is to be a good example and that the little one looks up to her.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• explain to them both why it was wrong, and punish the older one for longer.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My oldest used to pull crap like that all the time when she was 5 and she sure as hell got grounded to her room because she knew better. My other kids were 3 and 4 and also knew better to a point and would get punished but the oldest got more because she was the instigator.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my oldest is 3 and tells her 2 year old sis to do "silly" stuff all the time... usually if i remind her little sis that those aren't things that we do... and then we talk with the older one about it... sometimes she will get a time out, etc... we don't spank...
    i found though, that with my 3 and 2 year old that when my oldest tells her sister to do something "nice" if i reward her, by saying "that was nice of you" or "thank you for helping mama" she really has cut down on the negative things...
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• time outs
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2010