My SIL wants to join the national guard and I am not sure how I feel...

I know that it is not up to me what she chooses for her life. But what does this mean for her and her nine month old. Any info would help ladies. I am so confused if I shoud be proud of her or worried for her son.

countryhotmama

Asked by countryhotmama at 3:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Honestly, I don't know. My DH is Navy Reserve. Every branch is different. Here is a bump for you in hopes that you can find the answers you are looking for.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 3:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well she will have a steady job, health insurance, an automatic pay check. I think she's doing a great service.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Be proud. She will have lots of opportunities for her and her baby. She will spend a few month away from her baby but, after she'll be able to go to college. Go the recruiter with her, they can't lie so ask all the questions you want. She will not have to sign over custody of her child but, she will have to sign a medical power of attorney so the baby can be taken to the doctor while she is away.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oh, my husband has been in the NG for 9 years.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think that she will do great in the National guard . She hasn't said who she would leave baby with but my hubby and I are meeting with her later to tell her we will help. The rest of the family is very very unstable. I just worry that it will be hard for her son she already is very detattched from him. She leaves him with who ever whenever. I know this would help her to grow up a lot. I think I will ask to go talk with them when she goes next.
    countryhotmama

Comment by countryhotmama (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• How long will she be away?
    countryhotmama

Comment by countryhotmama (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Read the following:

"As with making any major decision, there are both benefits and challenges to Guard and Reserve service. Generally speaking, Guardsmen and Reservists serve one weekend a month and two weeks on active duty, generally in the summer, per year. Newcomers can normally expect some extended active duty training time the first year, to include basic training (also known as boot camp) and basic skill or technical training so you can do your new military jobs. Sometimes, basic training can be done one year and technical training the next."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The National Gaurd is only weekends and two weeks out of the year. She can still hold a job and stay at home. My older brother is in the National Gaurd and he holds down a job with the military, he gets to come home to his family every night, and two weeks out of the year gets stationed elsewhere for training. Then it's back home again. For someone with a family who wants to join the military that is the better option.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010