How Do I Cook Spaghetti

I like to cook spaghetti for my family, but everytime I cook it, the noodles stick together. How do I cook it so that they won't stick together?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 3:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• add a couple teaspoons of cooking oil to the water before you add the pasta. and careful not to overcook, set a timer to what the package says.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sounds like you are cooking them too long. Get your water to a full hard boil first, then put the noodles in. Give them a stir right away to loosen them up, then again about halfway through your cooking time (check the box or package for cooking times). Drain the noodles right away to stop the cooking process.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes...I add a little olive oil to my pasta water and once the pasta is finished, drain it and toss with a little more olive oil. Also.....other types of pasta don't stick together as easily such as rotini, rigatoni or penne. I prefer to use those for this reason....also easier to eat.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When I put the water on to boil, I add some salt to it. After it boils and I add the noodles, I let it cook for about 8-10 mins. I usually take a noodle out once in a while to test it towards the end of that time. When it's done I drain and rinse them. They always trun out good! I always have a problem with making mac n cheese...the noodles always end up gooey. Lol.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i put oil in the water, but then after i drain the noodles they go right into the sauce. i don't leave them out in the air for very long.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Put oil in the water.

Also if you don't mix the pasta and the sauce, you need to add a little oil or butter to the plain pasta to keep it from getting sticky while serving it.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oil to the water does help, but also don't overcook the noodles. Check on them every so often and once they're soft then turn off the heat and drain. Make sure that the noodles aren't sitting around waiting for the sauce to heat up, because the longer they sit they more they stick together.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You are overcooking it. Set a timer and make sure you put the noodles into boiling water
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I add oil too just stir and keep an eye on them use your best judgement when you think they are ready...I usually take one noodle out and throw it against the wall if it sticks it's ready if it slides off cook a tad longer. (the kids love to watch me when I throw a noodle)...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I use whole wheat pasta, stir every minute or two, make sure that the water is at a strong boil before adding the pasta, and never add oil. I have never had an issue with the pasta sticking.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010