What do you do to stay sane?

For all of you stay at home moms. What do you do to stay sane? I'm going to go crazy if I don't get away for a little while! I love my kids, don't get me wrong. but saying, "Mommy this," and "Mommy that" all day long is driving me crazy! I want some adult conversation!

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know what ya mean. My df is out of state working and we have 3 kids under 2 1/2! I never get a break, but I tell myself that I can get through this tough time:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I read. It's sort of like getting out of the house without going anywhere. If I have very limited time I read a favorite part of a book I have already read.
    4littleladies

Answer by 4littleladies at 4:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't have anyone who lives around me I can hang out with. Therefore, I rely on talking to family online, since they live hours/states away from me. I also listen to music, do hobbies that I like when they're taking a nap, and even a walk around the block with them helps. On weekends the we all go out and do something together.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I go for walks. I try to go for a long (hour-long) walk by myself every evening, because it helps me clear my head. Sometimes, if DH is home during the day and I'm really frazzled, I'll put on my tennis shoes and grab my iPod, and walk out the front door. DH knows I won't be gone long, but sometimes I feel like I just gotta get out!!! Last weekend I got a full 3 days away - the longest "Mommy break" ever since I had my first kid 3-1/2 years ago. I went camping with my sister. I had my cell phone with me, but DH and I agreed that there would be NO CALLING all weekend. I had to tell myself to stop worrying about the kids, and to focus on having fun. It was surprisingly freeing and I came home feeling refreshed!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• nothing going still going crazy
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 4:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wait until bedtime, or I'll drop them off at mom/dad's. My 7 year old is in this snitching mode right now. If my son sneeze she'll come running to me. If she stop the snitching I'll survive the night.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I had to learn how to allow myself some time. You deserve a break once in a while even if it is just to take a long hot shower uninterrupted!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I get up early to have quiet time to myself. I lay down in the afternoons with my DD. I read and sometimes I even get that elusive nap! If I'm desparate, I can usually get my MIL to keep them while I go grocery shopping.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 6:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2010