Does anyone use cloth diapers these days???

I have been looking into using cloth diapers vs. disposable and have found some pretty neat ones on the market these days!!! I wanted other moms opinions on brand/ease of use/cost... The ones I have found that I really like are the gDiapers... they have a cloth insert as well as a biodegradable disposable insert that you can compost/flush/toss! I love that idea, but the refills seem a bit pricey, $15 for a 40 ct refill. Are there any other cheaper comparable options I've missed, or do you know where I can find them cheaper? They are quit a bit more expensive then regular disposable diapers, so I am wavering... I love the "green" aspect though. Why does being green mean spending more greens?!?!?!

Raindrp999

Asked by Raindrp999 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• We use them. It saves money like no other and you don't have the icky diaper pail in the house! We use disposable when we go out or visit places.

We use Bird's Eye with safety pins and plastic pants. Once you have everything, there is no extra cost (unless you are sending out for a laundry service).
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I used cloth for my middle son and I know many moms(not on this site)who use them.

I preferred the AIO's to anything but I also tried the pocket style but didnt like them as well.

BumGenius and FuzziBunz are the ones I hear a lot from my friends. And some make their own.

DiaperSwappers.com is a good site to get some. They basically have gently and lovingly used cloth diapers for more budget friendly prices then some sites and when you are done using them you can sell them on the site as well. They also have a section where you can buy homemade ones from other site members who are into making them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• here's where i broke down costs and compared different types :)
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1604188/CD_stuff_in_one_post
    LaughterHugs

Answer by LaughterHugs at 5:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I used cloth diapers for both of my kids. I went "old school" though, pre-folds, pins, and plastic pants. I kept track of the expense and for two kids (not including the actually washing, just the materials), I spent less than $100. Seems like a good buy to me!
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I mostly use prefolds and Thirsties covers. I use a Snappi instead of diaper pins. When we leave the house we use pocket diapers and the one size Fuzzibunz are my favorite.

I considered the gdiapers with the flushable inserts, but ended up deciding to just go all the way and do regular cloth. For one thing if you trash the insert and put it in a plastic garbage bag, they aren't going to decompose in the time they claim. It's going to be closer to regular disposables. The first year we moved into our house tree roots grew into our sewer line and we had a bit of a mess. So we only flush toilet paper down the toilet. I would never flush a diaper insert. If I had a compost pile, then I would reconsider, but I don't.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Go to jillians drawers website. They have a trial where you can try different brands and return them.

We use pre folds and thirsties duo covers. I like the grow via covers better. We only have 2 of them though.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010