My husband want to adopt my daughter...

Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost? I already have full and sole custody of my daughter. Her father have no right over her since he doesn't see her since she was a baby, she is 10 yrs old now. My husband and me have been together for 3 yrs but only married for 6 months. Any other detail needed so you can tell me the price just ask.TIA.

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 4:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Adoption

• It cost us about $2500 for each adoption. Even if you have "sole" custody the father may still have parental rights so, you would have to talk to a lawyer about that. If he still has "rights" and you can't find him you would just have to put an ad the the local paper of where he last lived for 28 days. Your state may have some kind of statute saying that you need to be married for a certain amount of time before he can adopt your daughter. He will need a federal background check and you both will need a homestudy on your home. For the homestudy a social worker will come to your home and look at it and talk to you and your husband and then talk to your daughter and see what she thinks about it. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• How much for what??? a lawyer? Are you giving him sole custody? where are you located? in ontario you can get a half hour free consultation with a lawyer.
    buddahbum

Answer by buddahbum at 4:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The best thing you could do is to find an attorney and ask. Then you can save up. It varies from state to state, so it really depends on where you live. My daddy adopted us girls when I was six. He and my mother had been married for about a year when it happened, and I couldn't be happier that it did. I love my daddy and am proud to call myself his daughter.

I hope that you are able to find the answers that you are looking for.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You will def. have to speak with lawyer.... is the bio dad on the birth certificate? If so, he needs to sign papers giving parental right away...which he can fight...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was adopted by my step dad when I was 8. I have no idea what it cost, but I do remember sitting in the judges chambers with my family and the judge asking me if it was what I wanted along with questions of my dad and mom. It was cool and even though he and my mom are not married any longer, he is still my dad and a big part of my life. I think its a wonderful thing!
    I have no idea what it will cost you, but definitely look online and maybe find an attorney that will offer a free consult. Good luck!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• To answe the question. I want my husband to be the legal father of my daughter. We live in Fl and I was looking for a price for everything. The bio-dad is in the birth certificate but he has no right over her because the judge gave me everything. Is not going to be easier if I have all the rights. Also I don't know where her father is located. Ha have NEVER paid child support and child support just send me a letter that they were closing the case because he just got dissable (mentally). They are not telling where he is or anything.
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010