Dealing with PPD

After having 4 miscarriages and a preterm loss at 21 weeks I just recently gave birth to a very healthy baby boy. I imaged motherhood being amazing and I pictured myself being so very happy after all the heartache weve suffered. Now that we are home my depression has kicked into full gear. I have bad images and thoughts going thru my mind but I just want this feeling to go away. I haven't' eaten much since I have had him, when I do eat I just get an upset stomach and get sick. I haven't taken care of myself and all i do is sleep. I love my son more than anything but i just want to enjoy him. Any advice, i have been on prozac for 10 days now and I want to be a happy mom. Please don't judge me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Health

• Give the prozac a little time to work. Or you can ask your doctor to try another medication. And don't be too hard on yourself, this is not anything you can control and you will feel like yourself again, it will just take time :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would never judge you. I was on meds while pregnant with both my girls. After my 1st all I did was sleep, I don't remember the first 3 months, I was in a lot of pain as well. Luckily my partner was there with me. The prozac will do something I am sure. There are suppotr groups that allow you to bring yoru baby with you. Some hospitals also have PPD nurses that provide therapy.
    I had an empty hole in my gut for months after my 2nd it was horrible.
    Since you had the miscarriages this birth may have triggered the feelings from them. was this birth ok? relaxing? that can also add to PPD what kind of atmosphere it was.
    Also I found it hard to connect with my first child.
    buddahbum

Answer by buddahbum at 5:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• First, congratulations on your baby!! I know how difficult losing a baby can be. Post partum depression is very real and NOT your fault. It is hormonal and not based on how much you love your son. Prozac can take time to get fully into your system so take comfort in knowing that you may not feel better right away. Make sure you stay in touch with your doctor and let her/him know how you're doing. Although rare, there are times when PPD takes over a woman's mind and the mom actually does harm the baby. DO NOT let this happen to you. Your doctor knows PPD is not your fault and will help you. In the meantime, seek the help of your loved ones if possible. Hopefully your husband is caring and taking care of you. If not, seek out friends and family to help you and to help with the baby, that way you can sleep and eat and get the rest you need. Continue to take your prenatal vitamins especially if you're nursing. GL!! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Prozac can take up to two weeks to work. I am on it right now... I feel better emotionally but at the Anxiety is killing me I have been reacting I think to the przac by a higher level of anxiety
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear about all of the emotions you are experiencing. I can't say I understand what you are going through but I've known other moms who have gone through it. If you don't have support in your house I think it is a good idea to talk to outside friends or family. If the medication doesn't kick in soon you should talk to your doctor about getting on something else. Like what was said above, it isn't your fault and PPD is very common among woman after giving birth. Take care and keep us posted!
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 5:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• First of all, you are not alone. I had 5 miscarriages before I had my daughter, and I expected that when she came home from the hospital (she was premature) I would be over the moon. I went through a traumatic event with her, which triggered serious anxiety, and led to me feeling very depressed because I wasn't feeling like I "should" given the fact that i was sooo happy to have my baby in my arms. I got even more depressed, thinking "i should be enjoying this, i should be happy, not sad". What really helped me, in addition to taking prozac, was talking to a social worker/counselor about what I was going through. She let me bring my daughter to the visits, and even did a home visit for the first time we met after my daughter came home. Keep in mind, also, that it will take 4-6 weeks to feel the FULL effect of an antidepressant, so if its starting to help some, there's more to come. ((hugs))
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 8:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2010