What should i cook for Thanksgiving.....

this is my first time cooking for thanksgiving, and i dont know what to cook. Any ideas please

tylersbaby85

Asked by tylersbaby85 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• a turkey :)

lol sorry, I'm not help, I have to go eat at MIL's house so I'm not cooking
    Anonymous

• You do the turkey and the stuffing, and have everyone else bring a dish. They have good recipes for stuffing on foodnetwork.com
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 11:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• A turkey of course lol. Ok I know you knew that. But my SIL does make fish, and if you're a vegetarian you could make lasagna and a nice huge salad :) My first Thanksgiving that I cooked was a disaster, no one told me that the turkey needed DAYS to defrost in the fridge. So don't buy it a day ahead of time. :)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 11:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I have the most awesome recipe for sausage stuffing if you'd like I can post it here tomorrow after I write it up. Some people like the sage and corn bread stuffing ( I think that's a souther thing) I am not crazy about the corn bread.
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 11:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• We have a big fat steak, my dad grills it and it is sooo yummy!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I am the cook in my family so I make everything from scratch. I do a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, pea salad, deviled eggs (if my brother will be there,) glazed carrots, rolls, and this year I debated on making my own cranberry sauce. For desert I keep it simple since who has room anyway and I will make pumpkin bread or banana bread so that people can take some home if they like. This year I am debating on making pumpkin pie squares for something different. I know some like sweet potato casseroles too but I make mine at Xmas with my ham and my carrots are a big hit so I do those instead. If you have a lot of people coming I would make it a potluck style and ask them to bring sides. I am the only one who knows how to cook well in the family so I just do it myself to insure everyone will eat it lol

Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Ooh when you do the turkey do not forget to take out the bag of giblets in the neck flap!! hehe I left mine in on the !st turkey I cooked!!
    I love to cook for Thanksgiving, I start cooking for it on Tuesday!
    Fresh cranberry sauce (recipe is on the back of the cranberries (super easy), I add a little grated orange skin (zest))
    pumpkin yeast rolls, (or even use the frozen bread dough they taste good.)
    wild rice stuffing
    baked apples w/ sweet potatoes... mmm yummy
    collard, mustard and turnip greens
    ambrosia
    greenbean casserole (I don't like it though)
    mashed potatoes, gravy
    pumpkin pie
    grape pie
    banana bread
    lemon bread (sooo good)
    little pumpkin turnovers
    Key lime pie (my favorite)
    and whatever else hits my fancy, I know here (Michigan) the ladies make a corn casserole, I haven't developed a taste for it though
    Anyway have fun with sweetie.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• This is a recipe from a friend Lancesmom, who shared with us over at Coffee Confessions.

Pumpkin squares

1 yellow cake mix
    3 eggs
    3/4 c butter (1/2 c melted)
    2/3 c milk
    1/4 c sugar
    1 t cinnamon
    (1) 1lb 14oz can Pumpkin Pie Mix (if using solid pack pumpkin then add 2 1/2 t Pumpkin Pie spice and 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar)

Reserve 1 cup cake mix for later. Grease 9x13 pan. Combine rest of cake mix 1 egg and melted butter. Press into bottom of pan. Completely covering it.Mix can of pumpkin pie mix, 2 eggs and 2/3 c milk. Pour over cake mix in pan.crumb together reserved cup of cake mix, cinnamon, sugar and 1/4 cup butter. Sprinkle over top over pumpkin mix in pan.Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes. Top with whipped cream and never eat plain ole pumpkin pie again!! Enjoy!
    MichelleK41

Answer by MichelleK41 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008