What do you want to teach your children about the Mosque being built on ground Zero?

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't want anything but a memorial to the men and women and children who died there. It's a site of a horrific tragedy, not some place to just BUILD on! I think it should be a site for mourning.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It's a lesson in tolerance and acceptance to me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I can appreciate that, but being a New Yorker for 34 years of ny life, I think that the people who died would not want terrorist to win by not rebuilding. When they build bridges , monuments, and infrastructructure people die. I think they would have died in vain if they didn't rebuild.

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I haven't talk to them about it because we're still explaining 9/11 to them when they ask. I think upper middle to high school would be the time to talk to them unless you live near there.

If they saw something and asked me about it I would tell them that a group of people are trying to build a beautiful facility and Mosque but the location has upset some people because it reminds a lot of people of a tragic event that happened very close to where they are building. If it were me I'd want to build my building where people weren't so emotionally connected to a sad day and where my Mosque and community center wouldn't add to terrible memories.   

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't tell my son what he should believe in politcally.. he is allowed to form his own opinions... I don't think I'm for it being so close.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 5:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If my son were old enough I would teach him that this is a house of worship for a group of people, explain what they believe, why people are against the Mosque, about 9/11 in general, and get into why we have to differentiate between Muslims and extremist/terrorists, as well as teach him a little about the freedoms this country holds inalienable for all of its citizens and explain how wonderful a country it is to allow these rights to everyone, regardless of differences, or of difference of opinion.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well first I would tell him that the Mosque is NOT being built on ground zero but 2 blocks away. Then I would tell him that the great thing about our country is that 1st amendment protects their right to build there. I would also tell him that just b/c some people want to circumvent the constitution when they see fit.....well we just do not do that. We also do not make laws based on someone's comfort level or morals. I have told him all this!

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• mom to just one , thank you for correcting me. I meant to right near ground zero. I am a little touchy about this subject because I was in New York city that day. Event thought I live in Florida - I am and will always be a New Yorker. New Yorkers are tough and proud people. We protect our own. Today, I did a little research about this and I was taken back by a picture of a Muslim man after the towers fell holding up a o + sign. I cried . It reminded me - it's not about New Yorkers, it's not about Muslims, it's about human beings and humanity. We are all Americans.

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If my son was old enough I would teach him why it's wrong.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 6:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• emily, let me correct you WE ARE ALL HUMAN BEINGS!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010