being induced with cervidil...share your story!

I am being induced Monday night at 9:30pm using cervidil...does anyone have any stories to share if they were induced this way? im hoping it will put me into full blown labor and i wont need pitocin in the morning. I have been contracting every 3-5 minutes for 2 weeks now and I am 1cm dilated and long...

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with Pitocin drip, and I never felt a thing from it. In fact, when I went in I didn't realize I was having "fake" contractions which meant i was essentially in labor, but after the pitocin the MEAN contractions started!!! You can read my whole story in my journal. It was awesome!
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• There are many problems assocated with this med and it isn't approved to be used for inducing labor. It should only be used if your or your baby's life is in danger. I wouldn't let them induce me before 42 weeks or longer. I went 43 weeks with my first baby.

I was very ill when I was pregnant with my third and final child. My life was in danger and I had been in the hospital for weeks. I was induced at 36 weeks with cervidil. It was 22 years ago when few people knew anything about problems with cervidil. I knew because I had been a childbirth educator. I was lucky and had no problems. Of course I had to have pitocin the next morning. I didn't need anything for pain and was in labor for about 9 hours after pitocin was started. Easy vaginal delivery.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• cervadil and cytotec are mean horrible medications. are you being induced for a medical reason? because not only is it very unlikely that you will need only one form of induction (meaning cervadil only, no pitocin or breaking of waters), you pretty much lose your freedom during your labor because with induction comes monitors, iv's, probably an epidural, needing to be flat on your back, etc. All these things are not good for your labor. I went to 43 weeks with my SECOND baby. Was unfortunately induced for high blood pressure with my first, who nearly lost her life during birth, and would never do it again unless it was a medical emergency.

Not trying ot scare you, I'm sure plenty of people get induced and are just fine, but the risks are so great, you and baby are better off waiting for natural labor. However, you can try natural induction methods like sex, orgasm, nipple stimulation (with breast pump, totally worked for me).
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Here is some information so you can make informed consent. I read the drug info and it sounds like it has now been approved.

http://www.dona.org/PDF/CIMSinduct-fact-sheet.pdf

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I am being induced because I have an unexplained heart condition (naternal tachycardia) that will only go away after delivery. I also have the beginning of PE (I was induced at 36 weeks with DD with severe PE), and I have been having non-stop contractions for weeks now. My OB has put off induction as long as possible, but if we wait until full term or until labor goes on its own, there is a chance my heart wont handle the labor and i could have a heart attack. For these reasons i need to be monitored closely from beginning of labor to the end and I will most likely get the epidural very early to prevent any more elevations in my heart rate due to painful contractions. I was given cervidil with my daughter and had no problems other than the fact that it didnt do anything to my cervix. im hoping this time around it will since it is my second and im already contracting and dilated. I was looking for other peoples experiences.
    LLE672

Comment by LLE672 (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• well, in your situation i guess it may be different, and medically necessary. i highly recommend between now and your induction date, that you try natural induction, like using a breast pump and having sex.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 7:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I had cervadil with my 3rd baby and it didnt do anything so we had to use the pitocin too :(

I had cervadil again with my 4th baby and it worked perfectly!!!! labor started 8 hrs after I had it, and only last about 3.5 hrs, no other interventions, no ivs :) The labor and delivery couldnt have been better and she was born quickly (about 3 pushes) no tearing/stitches and she was 9.15lbs :)

KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• when I was induced with Cervadil with my first DS it made me have minor contractions during the night but I ended up having to have pitocin in the morning. I know that you ladies mean well but not every induction is bad. I'm not saying that to be rude. I loved being inducedl. My contractions were not painful and I was in control. My labors were wonderful. Good luck momma and congrats on the baby!
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 8:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was induced with cervidil with my first child. At 41 weeks I still had not dilated or effaced, and my blood pressure was just below preeclampsia levels. I started having mild contractions after the first dose and after the second dose I moved on to strong contractions. They decided not to give me the third or fourth doses because my contractions were so strong and fairly close together. My water broke on its own about the time I would have been due to have the third dose. My daughter was born about 6 hours after my water broke, and I never had any pitocin.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 2:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I had Cytotec, which is the oral version of Cervidil. My water had broken, so of course, the hospital was pressuring me to move things along. I was having some contractions, but by no means were they active labor contractions. (Looking back, I wish I had just stayed home and waited until things were really moving... I ended up with every intervention in the book.) My water had broken at 5AM on the 23rd, I went in at 8PM that night (and told them it had broken at 3PM to buy myself some time). They were begging me to do something to induce labor (I had contractions starting around 9PM), but I held off until about 7AM the next morning, when I agreed to the Cytotec. That got things going for me, and I was in active labor by 10AM. By 1PM, the back pain was intolerable (turns out my son's position was not only posterior but he was in a particularly weird position), so I tried Fentanyl, and that did nothing, so I moved...
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2010