Hve you ever dried herbs before?

I went ahead and harvested the rest of my basil to make room for fall crops... there is a TON of it and I want to dry it... Do I need to do anything special to it?
I was thinking about putting it in the food dehydrator...

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 5:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My friend uses a dehydrator, I have another one that uses her oven. (Makes the house smell great, btw!) I usually hang it in small bunches in our office - but I don't know that any one way is better than the others. Oh - we all store it in the freezer in ziploc bags.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My mother uses her dehydrator all the time... but I have found
    using my oven on warm or low setting spread out of on tin foil
    so that it can dry evenly for 15 minutes and then flip the herbs
    for another 15 (don't let them burn)... I also hang dry my herbs and use as needed
    by cutting what I need off...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yes i would say to thats what my mom did.
    Tanya J.

Answer by Tanya J. at 6:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If you do use a dehydrator, watch carefully because basil dries quickly and could easily scorch. I speak from experience.) You could hangs bunches to dry; however the leaves fall off easily, so might be a bit messy. I clip the leaves off the stem and lay them flat on the trays from the dehydratior, just don't turn it on. Placing the leaves flat on newspaper or some other type of rack works too.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2010