tongue question

My child's tongue has been out since birth most of the day. It's not a phase or "she found her tongue" kind of issue. She can close her mouth entirely but rarely does this all day long. She is now six months. (born 6 weeks early)..anyway,i have an appt. with an Ent and a geneticist. We did initial chromosal testing ; b/c i was so concerned from her first few weeks of life- all was fine. It's just driving me insane. Should i consider seeing a neurologist. Please respond if you have heard of this or experienced it. Every infant i see doesnt ever have her tongue out....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you don't find out what you want from the ENT try asking a pediatric dentist. They may have some answers for you. Let us know what you find out.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I remember a baby I babysat did this. It was a long time ago, ( 18 years) I seem to think it was either a relaxed muscle thing, or the tounge was to long, which she eventually grew into. I do know for a fact she didn't have any long term effects by it.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 11:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I knew a little girl that had her tounge out all the time... her's was just really long. She was in speech therapy to work on keeping her tounge in her mouth (but she was 4 years old)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:19 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• thank you all..i will let you all know..both appt. are at the end of this month

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My mother in law told me about babies that have their tongue out is called a protruding tongue and can sometimes interfere with eating..Not sure how ur baby eats but i would definently check it out..
    aydensophia0408

Answer by aydensophia0408 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2008