Would you pay to get into a birthday party?

We just recieved an invitation to a double birthday party for my friend's two sons. On the invite it says that it will cost us 9 dollars to get in.

It's not like it's a lot of money but at the same time I guess I'm pretty appalled that we have to PAY to get into the party. I feel like we're paying for the party for HER kids. You know? We are also responsible for tokens while were there. Plus we're expected to bring a gift.

Do you think it's rude to ask someone to pay to get into a birthday party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, that't tacky. I would be so embarrassed to ever sent out an invitation asking for ANYTHING.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If it's at a roller rink, laser tag, etc. I wouldn't be offended. My kids have been invited to those types of parties and we've paid between $5-10. If it's at someone's home? Tacky.

Personally, when we do the kids parties there we just pay for all of the kids, but everyone's different, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yep...the host needs to pay...and the colds my kids catch from those indoor fun zones isn't worth it...
    I do the gymnastic parties and I pay per kid so I do ask that sibs stay home or that they let me know because that will be extra (for me)~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It is very rude to invite someone to a birthday party, and tell them they have to pay to get into the party. That is as bad as passing out a list of approved gifts. If I were in the situation, I would simply not go,and if they asked (which would also be rude) why you did not attend, I would simply say, I do not feel it is right to pay to attend a birthday party that I was invited. That is totally wrong.
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 5:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, it is not proper. A low cost, at park or home party should have been planned.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nothing.

I believe that people need to entertain on the scale that is possible for them, within their budgets and with respect to other people's budgets. That's precisely why it's tacky to invite people to pay an admission fee, or to include a gift list.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think they should have covered the tab for the per person admission to this place since they are having the party. However, if your kids have already sent in their rsvp that they are going it kind of puts you in a situation already. No party my kids were invited to did they have to pick up the tab and didn't have to pay for the tokens either. It's was part of the party entertainment so the host picked up for that as well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree that it is rude to ask people to pay to get into a birthday party, usually the host pays for the invited guests to get in. Now if you bring an 'uninvited' person (like a sibling) with to the party-- and then I can see the parent (and not the host) having to pay to get in.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't go.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• the last bday party my kids did was at a water park...i paid to get them in but we were told dont worry about a gift...this was family btw...i dont mind if its reasonable i wouldnt pay to go to build a bear or something like that those are soo over priced...
    i think its rude if they insist on you bringing a gift but if you dont have to i say let the kids go and have fun...
    twistedsmile

Answer by twistedsmile at 7:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010