Is it possible.....?

Jesus was referring to the book of Revelation only when He gave this warning?

A Warning

18 For[i] I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add[j] to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away[k] his part from the Book[l] of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

DebTiMiLaSa

Asked by DebTiMiLaSa at 5:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• i think He meant the entire bible.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• But the time of the book's writing, the Bible wasn't even in existence.
    DebTiMiLaSa

Comment by DebTiMiLaSa (original poster) at 5:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think it is referring to that book specifically, seeing as the bible as we know it today was not complete at the time revelations was written.

Paix

Answer by Paix at 6:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thanks for your answers ladies, b/c I think there is such a big misconception out there about that.
    DebTiMiLaSa

Comment by DebTiMiLaSa (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Good Question

Here's what the notes say in my study Bible ....

Rev. 22:18–21 Prohibition of Altering the Book, Promise that Jesus Is Coming Soon, and Final Pronouncement of Blessing. I warn is the same verb as testifies in v. 20. Jesus bears witness that no mere human may add to or take away from God's words without incurring the plagues described in this book and forfeiting its blessings. Moses had warned against adding to or subtracting from the Lord's commands (Deut. 4:2; 12:32). A prophet who spoke without God's authorization deserved death (Deut. 18:20–22). When Jesus testifies once more, Surely I am coming soon, his church responds, Come, Lord Jesus! echoing the early prayer of the Aramaic-speaking church, marana tha (“Our Lord, come!”; cf. 1 Cor. 16:22).
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• OP ... since the command was also made to Moses, and reflected again in the Proverbs, that the warning applies to the Divine Word of God. Christians who hold that the Bible is Divine and inerrant would then apply this to the whole Bible. I guess it depends on whether or not you believe the Bible is Divine and inerrant.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Being a Christian I do believe that God, and my Lord Jesus Christ an His Spirit are inerrant. The words published in revelation show me that the book of Revelation was too. The whole Bible, as we know it from the time of King James?....I do have questions. The passages in the book of Deut. was directly said by God to Moses. I have no problem w/ that at all. And questions are NOT a sign of disbelief in my Lord.

DebTiMiLaSa

Comment by DebTiMiLaSa (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I never said they were a sign of disbelief, so I'm not sure why you are so upset.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Honestly I think they were more open ended threats. Every parent uses them. Look at it for a second people have already done this things and nothing happened to them .
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

I don't believe I'm so much upset as a bit disturbed by your comment that has a suggestion about my belief about the Bible inerrancy. I thought that was a bit odd. I'm certainly not upset.

DebTiMiLaSa

Comment by DebTiMiLaSa (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010