i have a 10 yr old daughter with adhd refusing to take her meicine doesnt behave in school or follow directions lies and doesnt do what i tell her to do what should i do

she was diaginosed with adhd in 2005 she has been getting worse

Sherry135

Asked by Sherry135 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a son who after suffering from shaken baby syndrome has been diagnosed with multiple disorders, ADHD being one of them. He is 11. It sometimes has been an issue in the past, but we have faithfully had him in counseling on a regular, consistent basis. This is KEY with your child to modify the behaviors. Medicine alone will not work. If you do not get her help now, it will only get worse, especially once she starts puberty. Talk to your pediatrician about getting a referral through your insurance. My son sees a psychiatrist who prescribes the meds and a psychologist for the therapy. It is a hard road, but it is worth it.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 11:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• sorry but how can she refuse? you are the parent, it is your job to make sure she takes her medicine.
    Anonymous

• I fully agree with goinginsane1. Have your daughter placed in counseling. It will help you too if you were in couseling to learn how to cope and help your daugter. You are dealing with a powder keg waiting to explode. It will, repeat, will only get worse if you don't do anything about the situation immediatly. I speak from experience!!
    76thmom

Answer by 76thmom at 11:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• Have you ask her in conversational tone why she doesn't want to take it? While everyone is calm of course. Maybe the meds are making her feel funny or she might be having thoughts that are disturbing to her. It is very important that you keep your cool and listen to what she says or she may simply shut you out because she feels she's not getting through to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I found this article on ADHD very helpfull "ADHD and Young Children:Unlocking the Secrets to Good Behavior"

Also if she is refussing to take her medicine I would read this article "Out of Control Behavior: Should I Medicate My Child?"

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would make sure that it was not an option to take her medicine. Make sure that your child takes the medicine in front of you, and I mean stand right in front of them, and let them know in no uncertain terms that you will not tolerate them not taking it, and that privledges will be taken away if they don't want to listen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My 10 yr. old son has ADHD & ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). He has some of the same issues except 4 the medicine part, he takes it w/ no prob. I agree w/ goinginsane1 that medication as well as behavioral therapy work well 2gether. As far as school goes, does he have an IEP (individualized education plan). My son does & they make several accomodations such as giving him half of his spelling list, working w/ a resource teacher 1 on 1, an extra 15 min. 2 finish classwork or tests, having him take tests in another room 2 help drown out distraction. Bc w/ my son, I know that when he doesn't finish in x, he gets frustrate where he doesn't want 2 cooperate. Could it b that there's been some dramatic changes @ home (divorce, death/ ned addition in the family, move, etc.). If so, maybe he''s having a hard x adjusting.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My son is ADHD and Bipolar and I make sure he takes his med and he goes to therapy and also sees a psychytrist who prescribes his medicine and I can always call his therapist if he has any behavioral problems in school or home and make an appt to see her sooner then his scheduled one if needed,hehas come a long way.this sounds like what your daughter needs,you need to get her the help now medicine along w/therapy will help you and your daughter.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 1:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2008