Anyone else have useless teenagers at home?

My sister is 18yrs old and 100% a waist of space in MY home! I cook, clean, take care of my kids, take care of her dumber then dirt dog, and what does she do... Sleep till 4pm, stomps around in a sour mood then goes out all hours of the night, comes home god only knows when and repeat. She has a job but only works maybe 10hrs a week. Every dime i get goes to bills and food. She pays her cell phone bill and car insc for MY car that i cant even drive cause she has basicly totaled the thing in a dozen recks that its not safe to put my kids in. Iv had it with her. If i could make her leave i would but my mother also lives with me so my sister tags along with her. I asked her to wash dishes while mom makes dinner and i give the kids a bath, she saids "pfft no." and walks out the door.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 5:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like you need to have a talk with mom. Either she gets your sister to shape up, the sister goes, or they both go. Tough love.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have a teenage daughter who is sour alot too. She's very emotional so I can always tell when she is fighting with her friends or something isn't going right cause she brings the attitude home with her. When we do ask her to do her chores she seems to do it reluctantly. Unfortunately, many kids go through this phase and I recently found out there is actually a physical and chemical reaction in the brain that causes some haywire in the brain and thus the reason for attitude. I think I would not let her take your car unless she does her chores and helps out or she could pay to use your car and you can hire some help.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 5:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I'm surprised that an eighteen year old doesn't have a curfew when it comes to staying out late. I would be concerned if my younger sister was staying out till all hours of the night. However, you shouldn't have to take care of everything if she is under your roof there. I'm sure she is quite capable of helping but it seems to me that she is already comfortable with the arrangements and you will have to convince her that she needs to help with the work that needs to be done.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I agree, your mom needs to say somehting to your sister so that she starts helping out or she goes (or they both go). Your sister is an adult that is acting like a spoiled child and it's time she grew up. She needs to start pitching in with house chores and with paying the bills, including groceries. She should also be responsible for getting her own car, one that she can wreck as often as she likes with no financial consequences to anybody but her.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If it's your house I agree tell Mom to make some changes inreferenceto her, or they have to go. No reason you have to put up with it sounds like adding another kid to the ones you already have. Why does your Mom let her act that way in your house anyway, she shd be thankful your giving them a home to live in? I definately would talk to your Mom first, sister 2nd. If she doesn't like it, show her where the door is.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have talked to mom MANY times about this and she talks to my sister who will shape up for a day or two and thats it. Its driving me crazy! Im a single mother too and shes more of a hassel then anything. She does have her own truck but clames she doesnt have the money to have it registerd. Im giving her till october 1st then shes carless cause i have to start taking my son to VPK and will need my car everyday.
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 6:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i had one of those....he was 19 dropped out of school his senior year and quit his job he stayed home and slept and played video games...i put my foot down i gave him 3 options (1) get out of my house get a job, (2) go live with his dad and step mom (3) go to the National Guard Youth Challenge Program...he opted for number 3 he left April 18, 2010 for the program there he lived in a military style setting and went to school to get his GED ...they guarentee that a study with their assistance with advance 5 grade levels....my son was failin math he had the highest score possible for his rotation He graduates from the program next Saturday (Sept 18, 2010) as a 4 star cadet....when he came home for his home visits peope who knew them commented he now looks you in the eyes when he speaks to you, he is not the pitifu recluse he was turning into...this is a free program and they DONT have to enlist when they exit
    twistedsmile

Answer by twistedsmile at 7:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• SS
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have a 22 yr old daughter that does have a full time job, but she pays no rent, car insurance, cellphone, etc. The only thing she does pay is her car payment . Me and my mother pay the bills while she basically gets a free ride. So, I do know how you feel. Both of us are always broke paying her way. Does your mother help out at all? When you get a good answer, let me know about it.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:15 AM on Sep. 12, 2010