My daughter recieved a failing grade on her report card for the 6 weeks, I belive there was a breakdown in communication. I need some help please.

She recieved 2 zeros on labs she did in 7th grade science that were considered test grades. She was in class over the 3 days of the assignment, she did the work and when I asked where they were she said in the classroom. I am now finding out that she did not turn in the papers to an exact location and is now being penalized for it. I am not saying my daughter is without fault, but a simple question from the teacher could have cleared this up immediately. The teacher refuses to change her grade and has been really snippy with both myself and my husband. We have also learned that our daughter is not the only one with this problem. I do not expect a teacher to hunt my child down for a missing homework assignment, but these were test grades that counted 50% of her final grade. Am I wrong for wanting the teacher to change the grade?

stephbo91

Asked by stephbo91 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yeah your wrong. part of being in school is to also learn responsibility. She should have put the assignment where it belonged, or asked to be sure. The teacher can't hunt down every single assignment that wasn't turned in. She deserves the zero. It will teach her a lesson next time.
    Anonymous

• sorry, but I have to agree that if she did not turn in the assignment correctly, then it's her fault.

asking that the teacher ask your daughter about it is asking that he hunt her down to get the assignment.
    Anonymous

• is there a compromise you all can reach? your daughter should have been paying closer attention but perhaps instead of just changing the grade she can do some extra credit and if not its a good lesson for when she gets in to high school and her gpa REALLY starts to count
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2008

• I've soooo been through this with both my sons! Looking back...yes it's her responsibility to turn it in when and where she is told. Is it hard to let her go through that?....YOU BET! Does she have to to learn....YEP. But it doesn't excuse the teachers behavior towards you and your DH. You need to be careful in how you approach the teacher. I'm not saying you did but just in case...never accuse or jump into a conversation on the offense because you won't get anything but a defense or a better offense than yours from that teacher. Keep in mind they have sooo many students and double that in parents and they've got their hands full. You need to repair the parent/teacher relationship though because it won't do you or your child any good to be upset and you don't want it to last all year. Ask you're childs teacher if there can be any extra credit done. Good Luck
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The problem I am having is that this is happening to more than just my daughter. She put the assignment in her folder that stays in the class. She says that sometimes they turn things in to the teacher himself, sometimes in the "in basket", sometimes on the lab table and sometimes they leave them in the folder. She is not a mind reader. As I said my daughter is partly to blame in this, but I belive only 60%. Her teacher is not even the one grading the papers, another teacher is.
    stephbo91

Answer by stephbo91 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• you could consider talking to the principal as well
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Talk to your child's councilor. I know the ones at our school are wonderful!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I have talked to the teacher, the teacher doing the grading, the counselor, the principal and superintendent.
    stephbo91

Answer by stephbo91 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• They don't want to fix the grades because these test grades went in on the last day of the six week reporting period, therefore she had no time for extra credit.
    stephbo91

Answer by stephbo91 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• im sure that she tell them where to turn them in. are you saying NONE of the kids turned in their assignment? She needs to listen. and if she knows that sometimes they turn it into the basket or into the teacher, then she needed to ask and be sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 16, 2008