how

how do u usualy disipline ur toddlers mine is just way out of control an she is only 20 months old what should i do she is making me go insane i cant take her out in public
???

babykathy09

Asked by babykathy09 at 5:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know it might not be the most moral way but i find myself bribing my daughter sometimes when were at the store. she is 3 and if were at the store ill let her pick something small and give her a friendly reminder that she has to behave or we cant get it. even like a lipgloss or something. i have a 4yr old sister and my mom always tells her that she has 2 choices: this seems to work with her.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i have tried that method an for some reason it doesnt work
    babykathy09

Comment by babykathy09 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I take things away. My son is 3, if he is bad.. no cartoons. I will take his favorite toy. If he purposly makes a mess with drink and squirts it all over the place (our big thing right now,), he gets water for the rest of the day... No "junk food snacks"

My husbands big one is making him stand in the corner arms straight down and eyes straight.. Of course its only spoused to be one min. for every year old... This one works pretty good...

I am more of the "softy" when it comes to disiplining, those big blue eyes get me everytime, so daddy handles it most and does well...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Bribing them will only teach them to expect to get something everytime they go to the store and then when they don't get it, they will throw a trantrum.. I learn this one the hard way....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Holding hands.

I'm smarter, faster and can see further into the future than any 2yo. That means I can outrun, outmaneouver and outsmart them, in addition to being able to see what they're doing, and what they're thinking of doing...

If you're under the impression that it's possible to guide or parent a 2yo from across a room ... or from another room, you're going to find yourself tremendously frustrated ALL THE TIME. It's like trying to train a dog from across a yard. It lacks understanding of the developmental level that is possible at that age, and lacks appreciation of her capabilities and limitations.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Well since it will take some time for them to fully understand what you are telling them, I spent plenty of times picking up my toddler and moving them away from the danger. You can still tell them that what they did was wrong as well. It can be frustrating because they are bound to repeat things you don't want them to do till they learn the right way. For example my children used to pick stuff off the shelves while sitting in the baby cart at the supermarket that they wanted. They thought they were helping with the shopping. My son would take his shoes and socks off in the supermaket as well. Cashiers got a kick out of it seeing him that way, but as he got older he realized that he couldn't do that in public.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I know that feeling all too well. She gets time outs when she acts up. She also uses a back pack with a leash on it. She calls it her Charlie and she loves to use it.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• see an i took her to bealls earlier an i wasnt holding her hand for the fact that wen i hold her hand she well just drag her body an wen i try to carry her she jus screams for me to put her down an i let her down just to pay the cashier an she took off an hid under the rack of clothes and i called her name lik 3 times an no ansswer so i startd pankicking an i called her again the only reason i found her was cus she started laughing lik giggling an popped out a rack of clothes ugh she got me so scared there
    babykathy09

Comment by babykathy09 (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We do the 1-2-3 count and then at 3 my daughter will get a single smack to her bottom. She will be 3 - November 1

We started this a long time ago, and now I can't even tell you the last time I got to 3. She knows that if I start to count, she is in trouble.

You have to find what works for YOU and stick with it. Right now she is testing the limits and seeing how far she can go, how much she can get away with. You have to get mean and make her understand that YOU make the rules and it is her job to follow them
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 6:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• lol is all i got to say ur child is bad some times shes worse then jj plus shes like that with u only the times me n joe take her wit us shes an angel dont even act up once lol she does it to get ur attention since ur hardly with her cus ur workn all the time she thinks she has to b bad so u can pay attention to her..lol but ya shes bad
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010