feeding

how long should i wait b4 introducing a new food 2 my 4 mnth old. We just tried applesauce yesterday.

shaysmommy5810

Asked by shaysmommy5810 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give each new food 3-5 days to make sure there are no allergies.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:59 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• most doctors recommend that you don't begin giving babies "solids" until they are 6 months of age, most kids digestive systems can't handle it until then.
    When you do give them solids, you should introduce one at a time, and feed them only one kind for 3 days at a time so that you can more easily find out food allergies.
    Also, its been shown that apple juice and applesauce can give little girls yeast infections, so it is not recommended that you give them either. Instead, white grape juice is the best (not Juicy Juice variety, every one of those contains apply juice as its base).
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 6:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommend to start solids at 6 months to prevent food allergies. Then you should give 1 food every 7days. You should observe the baby for rashes or vomiting, signs of food allergies.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 6:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would wait until 6 months to try anything.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• have you tried the cereals? i started with cereals when my daughter was 5mos. and then at 6mos we moved to the stage 1 foods. i believe in the beginning we gave her like a vegetable for the first week, and then once she had tried a few different ones we would go to fruits and then mix it up from there.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The very latest recommendation is that all babies wait until 6 mo to start solids, not just bf babies. Applesauce isn't a good first solid because apples are had to digest and are bad for the sensitive digestive system. That's why apple juice is sometimes recommended for constipation. It irritates the digestive system and is actually making the baby ill (not well) so the baby will pass the hard stool. Cereals are also hard to digest and infants don't need them.

Bananas, sweet potato, and avocados are good first solids. The next good solids are meats for iron. Baby food isn't needed, you can mash food with a fork and let baby feed itself. If the baby can self-feed then it isn't ready for solids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Actually the wait a week between foods recommendation is out. There was a review of studies and they found no evidence to support that recommendation. More info can be found on the American Academy of Pediatrics web site. Just about all foods can be started after 6 mo including peanuts. The things babies shouldn't have is milk until a year, honey until a year, and foods that are choking hazards. Of course babies should have only nutritious food and not juice drinks, candy, coke, ect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have 2 girls and both have had apple juice and sauce and I have never had a problem with yeast infections. I think it depends on the child. my doctor suggested introducing rice or oatmeal cereals first sweetened with apple juice and waiting 3-5 days before starting a different fruit or vegetable.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You need to be careful because allergies are possible when you introduce new foods to your baby. My daughter was allergic to the powdered milk which showed up as an ingredient in small quantities in the vegetable baby food.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• "There was a review of studies and they found no evidence to support that recommendation. More info can be found on the American Academy of Pediatrics web site. Just about all foods can be started after 6 mo including peanuts."

Can you help me find this article/info? I can't find anything on the AAP site.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2010