Do you have non employer sponsered health insurance?

Does anyone here have health insurance they did not get through their husbands employer? My hubby was supposed to be leaving his small comapny for a fortune 500 with better benefits, but he backed out, which leaves us with no insurance as I am leaving my job to be a sahm in a couple weeks and I have carried the insurance since we got married. YES his company does offer health insurance, but the coverage is pretty bad and it costs about $500 a month for family. I am looking for other options. I have even considered leaving him and I with no health insurance and putting my kids on HAWK-I (healthy and well kids in Iowa - it is very inexpensive - it is one of those SCHIP type programs). Has anyone looked into getting their own, non employer sponsered insurance?

derubink

Asked by derubink at 9:31 AM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• i've looked into it and i simply cannot afford it. it would have been 350 a month for just me to have been insured! that's the car payment!
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 2:44 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Yeah we have but the company he works for requires their insurance so we pay $500 and they pay $500. This is for all types of insurance including life and disability as well.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• You probably aren't going to find much lower premiums. Group plans tend to be much more affordable because the premiums are factored in a more favorable manner than individual policies AND the employer usually contributes part or all of the premium thereby reducing the expense to the employee even more.

I do have a suggestion though. Instead of pursuing insurance to cover your preventative medical care take a look at a discount plan like AmeriPlan (www.mybenefitsplus.com/healthyyou). Basic Medical plans are $29.95 and covers your entire household. This type of plan is very similar to the maintenance part of a PPO in that the provider offers discounted rates for plan members based on the presumption of increased referrals and other incentives. The net result is that you get the benefit of a more affordable trips to the doctor (50-80% savings) without paying enormous premiums.

Hope this is helpful.

TrudyP

Answer by TrudyP at 10:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• United Healthcare offers "kids only" health insurance plans that provide children's coverage for sickness and accidents. Their plans are written through school districts and many private K12 schools throughout the US. Their health plan is designed to be affordable, at just $98 every 2 months. Check out www.k12studentinsurance.com to see if your child's school district (or private school) is participating. Click on the "Plans & Pricing" tab, enter the district name or private school name and the state in the search box and review the plans. If you don’t find your child’s school district, call UnitedHealthcare StudentResources at 888-282-5957 to see about adding it.

Source: www.k12studentinsurance.com
    GeorgeS

Answer by GeorgeS at 8:04 AM on Nov. 5, 2008