Hit a wall with potty training!

So my dd is 3. We have been working really hard with her to potty train her. She has finally gotten to the point that she pees in the potty all day for the most part. She will still have an accident sometimes though. But as far as pooing she refuses. She will sit on the potty but not poo. She will go in her panties or pull up and not say anything, she doesnt stop playing and hide or anything when she is, thats the wierd part if that was the case i could run her to the potty but she just continues to play before during and after she does. I have tried everythign. I have followed her around and played with her constantly all day and dont notice something that shows she is doing it. I have tried bribing her, ive sat next to her and read her book after book. I dont know what else to try. Sometimes shell even hold it until she gets a pull up on to go to bed to poo. Im so tired of washing poo panties, if she wears a pullup shell pee

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• in her pullup and not go on the potty. ANd i dont want her to go backwards! Ahh please help!
    OliviasMommy614

Comment by OliviasMommy614 (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My friends sat their child on the toilet until they went. No matter how long that it took.

I use a "pee-pee" potty song and dance. As well as a "poo-poo" potty song and dance. All of the children that I've used that with have loved it (including both of mine. I was a nanny).

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Get rid of the pull-ups/diapers completely. Once she feels the poop in regular underpants she'll get it pretty quickly.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• sit her on the potty for awhile & read to her. Explain that poop goes in the potty. Sometimes poop takes longer to feel comfortable doing.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• thats the thing she poos in her panties all the time and doesnt tell me it doesnt bother her. she has been doing this for atleast a month. i even put her poo from her panties in the potty and we say bye bye to the poo. i dont know what else to do
    OliviasMommy614

Comment by OliviasMommy614 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It sounds to me like she is afraid to poo in the potty. I think you have to sit her there until she does it, just to show her that it's no big deal. I think once she does it, she'll be fine. My son was like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• im sorry that she is refusing but its different with all kids my son that turned 5 in july still pees in bed at nap or bed time he dosee not know he is doing it at all so i know how fustrating it is; but goodluck. im in the middle of doing it for the 3rd time but this is the youngest im ever trying it hes 1 1/2 so ok.
    Tanya J.

Answer by Tanya J. at 7:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• it may sound odd... but i agree that she may be "scared" to do it... my daughter had a bad tummy flu and it did the same thing to her... she refused to poop on the toilet after that...
    until i finally broke down and let her come with me when i did... and she saw that i wasn't hurting... she helped me get TP and i wiped... we said goodbye to my poop... she flushed...
    she has pooped just fine since then! sometimes if she's "scared" she may just need to see that it doesn't hurt, or that you're not scared of it...
    not for everyone... but maybe it could help?
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think that potty training for peeing and pooping are two different things. And for some kids pooping in the potty is a very scary experience. I would continue to work on the peeing part of potty training and back off the other for a couple of weeks. Continuing to push her when she isn't emotionly ready my cause her to hold onto her poop which could lead to some medical problems. Re introduce pooping in the potty after a few weeks. Make it as positive as you can. Make a sticker chart or get a jar filled with small favors or her favorite treats. Let her know everytime she poops in the potty she gets a a sticker or treat. Read to her kids books on pooping. A good one is Everyone Poops by Taro Gomi. Take away the pull ups and just roll with it. If she has accidents don't punish her for it just keep it positive. Good luck.

collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 9:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Take away the pullups. I learned early on that they are pointless if you really mean business about potty training.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010