Dates

At what age did you/will you let your child(ren) start going on dates?

Paix

Asked by Paix at 6:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• 15... but it wasn't a rule, it's just when it happened
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It wasn't a rule for us either.. My first daughter went on her first date when she was 13. My second daughter was 16. My first son was 14 and my 12-yr-old is not into dating yet. The rest of my kids will go on dates whenever they happen to..
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wasn't supposed to "car date" until I was 16, but my parents let me at 15 when I had a steady boyfriend. I haven't even started thinking about that with my daughters yet, but I know it will be here before I know it. **sigh**
    mims154

Answer by mims154 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• By the way, when my daughter went on her first date at 13, it was with a very nice 13-yr-old boy we knew very well and it was like a "puppy-date". Just out for pizza at the mall and then watching the stars in our back yard!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 6:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I imagine I will just play it by ear and see how things happen... All kids mature at different rates so it all depends on the kid.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• When they were ready to be married, when they were mature enough to know what to look for in a mate. That's what dating should be for! They did have friends of the opposite sex and those friends did spend time with our family at our house, but it was not going out to places unsupervised. It worked out very well for our family, and our children did not marry young.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Once they start Highschool they are free to date if they wish... Before that they may only go on Group or supervised dates.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We allowed our 3 to go with groups including their special friend from 12 on but no individual dating at all until they were 16. They're all teens now and it's going very well.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Nanny B.....

Wow! Really??

I'm 36 and I'm not ready to be married... nor do I think I ever will be

If I went by your rule I'd never leave my house and my 17 year old wouldn't exist! LOL
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• depends on the maturity level of the child. I'd say generally group date at 13-14, "alone" date around 16
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2010