How do I get my 3.5 yr old to stop eating her boogers?

It's grossing me out!! I've told her it's gross, but she doesn't seem to care.

Ashlynnsmommy07

Asked by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try rewarding her.

In research about conditioning (punish/reward training), researchers found that when they routinely rewarded preschoolers for doing what they had freely chosen to do not only extinguished (researcher-talk for 'completely eradicated) the behavior well before the week trial was over. What really surprised them was that even months later the children refused to do what they had freely chosen prior to the rewarding behavior...

So, seriously, give her M&Ms or stickers every single time you catch her doing it. It will be gone in under a week.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oh just let her eat her boogers. When she moves on to other people's boogers, then you may have to do something. Boogers are harmless.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• OMG my son is 5 and for the life of me i cant get him to stop either but he wont let anyone see him pick it or eat it. So i would just keep on her about it everyday good luck
    Tanya J.

Answer by Tanya J. at 6:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Linda, give her a reward when she eats it?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Comment by Ashlynnsmommy07 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• hmmm... i just suggested that my 3 year old put the "boogie man" (yes, she thinks the boogie man lives in her nose... not under the bed) into a tissue... and while we go through a box of tissues in NO time... i got the cheepie ones, and she has stopped "tasting" what she picks... she gets a kick out of putting them in the tissue, and while it's gross, she likes to show it off... which is better than eating it in my book!
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i have a son who's 3.5 and this is new for him....but i told him you eat one more booger i'm making you eat one of daddy's.....totally nasty iknow....but he hasn't eaten another one since
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Get her a special hankie or something she can blow/wipe her nose on that she can keep in her pocket.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:23 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Reward her if she doesnt eat them!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I just explained those were big clumps of nasty germs that is going to make everyone sick if they don't stop it ...then when they complain the boogers bother their nose I tell them to blow them into a kleenex. They won't know that until you tell them there is an alternative :) good luck
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2010