What are your tips to curb emotional eating?

I'm trying to lose weight, but I am definitely an emotional eater I'm really trying to give myself healthier options but I'd also like to just not think about food so much.

loriio769

Asked by loriio769 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I bought fat free snack foods and fruits. I also buy popsicles to eat on when I get that feeling to eat. I am also an emotional eater, but I also find when I do good with my eating; I feel better about myself!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 6:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Its silly but find a hobby or volunteer this has helped me pick a martial arts anything to redirect your energies to something positive. GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Sit through it.

You've learned to mask your feelings with food --literally, to feed your emotions.

Do you remember what it feels like to feel anxious? For many people, it's been years and years since they felt anxious --or had any sense of feeling anxious. The trigger of 'almost anxious' or even 'I might feel anxious about this later' is enough to provoke head-driven eating without ever feeling hungry.

For many, it's been years since they felt hungry, too... being bloated, constantly bloated, upset digestive system, gassy, heartburn or whatever is 'normal'... but hunger they wouldn't recognize if it popped out of a donut.

Exercise can help a lot --because it's hard to eat and jog at the same time, and it's impossible to use a rowing machine and eat at once... but also because exercise reduces stress hormones, making you more relaxed in general. Outside can help a lot. Start by walking. Carry water.

Get enough sleep, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Try eating fat free pretzels, those big sourdough ones. They are pretty hard to just scarf down. It really works great.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Drink, drink, drink. Keep pitchers of cold water and unsweetened tea in your fridge. When the urge to eat hits, tell yourself you can eat something AFTER you drink a big glass of water/tea and walk in place for five minutes. No, really, it sounds stupid but it works. Getting your blood flowing helps decrease the stress/depression/anxiety/sleepiness you're feeling, and the liquid fills you up. I think the biggest thing is just don't let yourself sit down with a book AND a snack, the computer AND a snack, or a movie AND a snack. Tell yourself if you're really hungry, you can eat a snack standing up at the kitchen counter. It helps. :) :) GL!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Chew gum, brush your teeth
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Oh, another tip is mouthwash. :) When I really think I want to sit down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's, I swish with a really strong minty mouthwash. It makes food totally unappealing for quite a while!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Its hard i too am an emotional eater, but when i set my mind to taking off some extra weight and curbing appetite its as easy as just drinking a glass or two of water because it fills u up and doesnt have anything added to it. Ad i see that it gives me some energy to take a walk.
    rachel66

Answer by rachel66 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I used to be an emotional eater, too. Here is how I beat it. DONT eat or drink anything when you get emotional because even if you eat/drink healthy things you are not breaking the association between your feelings and putting something in your mouth. You have to FEEL your emotion and allow yourself the experience instead of dulling it with food. During times of extreme stress- I exercise- I lace up my sneakers and RUN. I have literally ran while bawling my eyes out before. My son has health issues and this is how I dealt with them. It really helps to get it all out and clear my mind. By the end of the run I am always in a better place. Sometimes if I am just bored or having a craving I will get go outside and water my flowers, get on my cruiser bike and just take an easy ride around my neighborhood- whatever.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 7:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• chewing gum helps for me as well. and exercise is a great stress relief, particularly jogging for me. i jog till i'm so tired that i dont have any energy to stress sbout stuff. it takes about a week to notice a differnence (for me anyways)
    iluvmybabe

Answer by iluvmybabe at 10:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010