How do you get motivated to clean?

My house is a mess. I just drank a natural energy drink, hoping it kicks in? Any suggestions ladies? My dishes are piling up and so is my laundry. Sigh. I hate dishes...

stringtheory

Asked by stringtheory at 6:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• It's tough, isn't it?! I struggle with it every day. Getting started is the hardest part, and here's what I think works best: pick the activity you LEAST want to do (like, scrubbing the shower - I HATE that) and do it first. Just suck it up and do it, even if you have to lock yourself in the room and blast your iPod. You'll be amazed how getting that one activity (especially the one you hate most!) done will give you "I can do anything" vibes. Suddenly the rest won't seem so bad, and you'll be motivated to keep going!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My motivation is when I know someone is coming over who will notice and possibly be judgmental about the mess.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If the dog keeps farting, I'm going to be very motivated, lol!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• hi there i have a bit of a simulsr dituation to not the dishes but laudrey is bad and there is only one washer and one dryer so and my room too everytime i clean it by the day s up its a pig sty again.
    Tanya J.

Answer by Tanya J. at 6:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My motivation is I like a clean house. With 3 boys and 3 dogs, if I don't keep up with it, it doesn't take long to get out of hand. I also have our boys help out, they have their own chores to do everyday, and that helps a lot.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:57 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I turn on the music and just do 1 room at a time. I usually start in the kitchen because its the biggest job and then move from room to room and do all of the floors last so Im not dragging things back through as I clean. I try to keep on top of it by doing a little everyday and splitting up the big jobs into different days (floors, bathrooms, laundry all on separate days)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• things like dishes you should try to do after each meal then they won't get out of hand and you won't feel like they are piling up laundry throw in a load and when that's done throw them in the dryer if you use one I just throw mine in a basket to take out them out to the clothes line but while I am putting them in a basket I have another load starting try to pick up a few things here and there.
    Do the worst job 1st and get some music going if that motivates you I never use it but some do and I think it can work. Have your kids help make it be a game how much can we pick up before the timer goes off, make a list and say you have to have so many things done before you do whatever it is and check them off you'll see how much you have done then maybe it will motivate you to get more done.
    Just because a job is big doesn't mean you have to do it all at one time take a
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010