EWWWW

Could house flies be coming up out of my drain?
Is that possible, there are flies in my house and they come from the bathroom. But they can't be coming in from the window. What can I do? I can't take it! It's gross, I hate flies. Please help me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes, they could be. Pour 1 cup of baking soda, followed by 1 C of white vinegar down the drain, and follow with a kettle of boiling water.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Could be. My apartment complex is old, and we get flies coming out of the garbage disposal even if we keep it sparkling clean. Just plain nasty!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:56 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If they are drain flies, they hatch from the gunk that builds up on the pipes above the drain trap. I haven't had a lot of luck getting them out with chemicals or the vinegar and soda method, so I scrape off the gunk with a long bottle brush.

Answer by Bmat at 7:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You can try Drano. Use a lot of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You can also pour bleach down your drains, it's cheaper than drano.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Never had that problem in my house but.. I do have these metal strainer things over my drains to prevent food from going down. Maybe pick up a few of those?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They aren't actually house flies but called drain flies. They breed on the black mold that grows in the drain. The best way to kill them is to use a long bottle brush or take apart the drain and clean that mold out of there. Putting drano over it migh help, but they live IN the mold as larva/eggs and the drano doesn't actually touch them.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 9:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010