How do I get my 15 mo old to stop biting? what does it mean?

sonjas08

Asked by sonjas08 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a stage, it will pass.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It usually means that babies explore by putting things in their mouth, kind of like their mouth is the center of their attention and more importantly that he/she can't express their feelings yet. Your child can't say "I'm mad...frustrated...curious...sad...jealous..." any number of things.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The only thing you can really do is say "NO" loudly, then give attention to the child/person bitten, ignoring the biter for a couple of minutes. At 15 months you can tell the child "that hurts" or "that hurts my feelings and it's not nice". Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the input!
    sonjas08

Comment by sonjas08 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i have 3 sons....the ONLY thing i have found that totally stopped it...was biting them til they said owe.....my oldest bit my husband once and hard enough to draw blood...i picked my son up and bit him on his leg in the same place he bit my husband(my husband has bad teeth) until he said owe..it didn't even leave a mark..after he said owe i looked right in his eyes and said that hurt didn't it..yes mommy....do NOT do it again...he was 2 when that happened...he's now 4.5 and he hasn't bit another person.
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Biting is due to exploration (as someone stated earlier) and also a way to communicate since their verbal skills are still developing. If it's due to verbalization (wanting someone to hand over a toy, wanting some space, etc.), try to explain and demonstrate gentle touches and "nice" ways of physical communication.

My daughter bit me once (b/c I tried to retrieve somehting from her mouth). Between my outcry of pain and my husband yelling at her, she was very scared and upset and never bit either of us again. She's never bitten another child (though, victim of biting). I know from literature and all the daycare info, this is not the prefered method. If you are comfortable doing this, then it may be an option. If you aren't, you'll have to try more passive methods. Be mindful not to accidentally reinforce the negative behavior.
    newmommy0409

Answer by newmommy0409 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010