Mothers of Preemie's I need advise bad

My son was born 3 and a half months early, he was in NICU for 5 months. He turned 10 months old today.
He is not showing any signs of wanting to reach for things or anything no matter how much I work with him, He isn't very accepting of tummy time on the floor. He takes about 2 minutes of it before he starts screaming bloody murder. He doesn't want his swing, just a lap or his crib. I have 2 other kids that are 3 and almost 2, I can't hold him constantly plus if I do then he isn't going to learn anything. I am trying to get him to start being more active so right now he is currently crying it out on the floor because I am trying to get him to get past the rocking and try to start reaching for toys, sitting up, and then eventually crawl. He doesn't show any motivation at all to do any of these things, when in reality he already should have been reaching for things.
HELP What else do I do?? It's so different from my other 2

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 7:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't push him. He will get there in his own time. He will be behind for a few years, but they do catch up. Don't let him cry. He is younger than his age. He needs to be babied.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• But his developemental center said to push him and do the exercises with him so that he can start catching up, in reality they said he should be behind and doing what 7 and a half month olds are doing, he is currently on the level of a 3 month old because I keep letting him slide
    JAJA_Steele

Comment by JAJA_Steele (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Has he been evaluated recently? Have you tried a sling? The sling has another name, I cannot think of right now. It holds the baby tight against your chest and frees up your arms.
    Was he held when he was in the hospital? My heart goes out to you and your baby.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• He was evaluated in July, they said to start pushing him and to work with him, I did that but when he would cry I would baby him and kept letting it slide, he is to be reevaluated next month and he has not made really any improvement. In the hospital he weighed 1 pound 7 ounces at birth, he had to reach a certain weight and was 2 months old when we got to hold him for the very 1st time. He then had surgeries and hooked up to machines and things making it impossible to hold him, but we did as much as we were allowed to when we were able.
    JAJA_Steele

Comment by JAJA_Steele (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Look into early intervention in your area. He could qualify for therapy. Early intervention is for children birth-5 that have special needs or developmental delays. Google early intervention program with your state.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 7:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank You very much
    JAJA_Steele

Comment by JAJA_Steele (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• A Moby wrap might really help you. You can wear him and then hook toys and things to it for him to play with. It frees up your hands so you can do things. Also, you can use different wrap methods with the same wrap to encourage head movement, leg stregth, etc. Babies who are worn develop language faster in general.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• my preemie was the same way a few months ago, almost 8mnths now she is reaching for things very well, rolling around on the floor turning around etc..and trying to crawl but she cant sit up..i didnt really do anything special she was evaluated in june and they said she was at a 3mnths level and she was 5mnths old..so they said she was not far behind and would start catching on quick..they suggested that i give her something to hold while i was holding her like a wipe something small she could grip in her hand..i dont know what to tell you about tummy time my dd loves it..and she loves her swing..I wish you the best of luck though and if you have any more questions please ask
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2010