How do you deal with your kids when they dont do their chores?

My kids take turns in being lazy when it comes to cleaning their rooms...1 wk its my daughters room that is spotless and my sons is a pig sty and the next time its hers thats a pig sty and his is spotless...i have found disconnecting the electronics helps to a degree...there father says i should go through and throw everything they dont clean up...what do you do to get your point across???
FYI kids are ages 10 yr old girl and 8 yr old boy

twistedsmile

Asked by twistedsmile at 7:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Usually they get to sit in their beds doing nothing until they feel like cleaning up. No playing with the toys all over, no reading, etc. They can come out to use the bathroom and eat meals (no snacks). And that goes on until they get it done. My 10yo dd can stay in there all weekend. She hates cleaning her room. She shares with her 7 1/2yo and 4yo sisters. They usually end up cleaning it so they can get out of the room. Because she refuses to help she ends up grounded in there after the fact while they get to go outside and play or whatever.
    If it gets bad I take their stuff away. There have been times they've had nothing in their rooms but their beds.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:04 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No allowance and loose the TV, video games, computer, etc until it's clean. DD11 hates cleaning her room and she will live without any fun just to avoid cleaning it. We have found that when it gets really bad the trick is that her door has to stay open until it's clean, she really likes the privacy of her door shut and that will make her get it done.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My kids don't get to do what they want. Especially if it requires my attention or me providing transportation or giving them money!
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I take away allowance, sometimes $1 at a time till they get going. Other times, it's a time out. Lots of explaining why we take care of our things or why they are expected to help... I pick up toys at night that are left out and keep them till the end of the week. The kids have to buy them back. I'm sitting here looking at all the stuff I need to pick up this morning--I'm going to have to go out to the garage to get a bin!! Some weeks are great, others not so much...LOL It's a neverending battle, but I'm going to win ;)
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 6:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2010