What is a good way to maintain breat & bottle feeding? (Please help)

I had my son 3 weeks ago and my breast are not producing milk fast enough for him and I do not want to fully give up breast feeding. Is there anything I can do to make my milk produce faster or does anyonw have advice/experience on both breast nd bottle feeding?

Deon-818

Asked by Deon-818 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what signs have you had that they are not producing enough?
    I know with my first I felt like that, and even now with my 4th, but I wouldn't worry about it unless he's not gaining weight.
    Make sure your keeping your stress level down, drinking TONS of water, eating healthy meals and letting him nurse when he needs to or wants to.....the stimulations will/should increase your milk....just give it a chance. I know my son kinda went on a binge at around 3/4 weeks...calmed down, and is now eating more at 6 weeks (growth spurts).
    Keep up the good work!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 7:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have breastfed 3 babies, and I promise you, about 99% of women can fully breastfeed and will always make enough milk. The more the baby eats, the more milk you produce. It might not always feel like there is milk in there, but there is! Some people think that your boobies have to be "full looking", or engorged, where you can feel the milk. That isn't true, and you probably have plenty of milk. Just keep trying! 3 weeks isn't very long, and I guarentee it gets easier and easier. You will be a pro in no time, and so will your baby!
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 7:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• He will eat for about 2 min and start to fuss and spit it out then we will try again and get the same result I try switching breasts and he would do the same thing ... I gave him a bottle and he ate up then I could feel the milk producing and start to leak and everything so I would pump a little and next feeding I put him on the breast and he will eat good I have been pumping to make sure I keep the supply coming but he wont drink the breast milk pumped
    Deon-818

Comment by Deon-818 (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If you want to exclusively breast feed, then don't give a bottle. You just think you aren't producing enough. But if you want to do both (that's what I did) then replace 1 feeding with a bottle. Like mid day. Give a bottle. The rest of the time nurse. You can replace another feeding a few weeks later. I was able to go back to work that way. I never pumped and I nursed for 9 months, night and mornings only.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• he does excellent latching on and everything its jus he gets fussy after only a few min and I kno hes still hungry cuz he will keep trying to mouth my nipple but he will get it and fuss again :/
    Deon-818

Comment by Deon-818 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Women are instructed to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first 6 weeks by all health authorities. In the early weeks your hormones need to become regulated and your breasts need to grow more milk glands and ducts. To do that all the baby's sucking needs to be at your breast. That's the way it works biologically. If you feed bottles then it almost always doesn't work. You have to stop the bottles. You can rent a hospital grade pump. While your baby nurses one breast pump the other. The pumping with stimulate your hormones and let down and help your baby get milk. If he needs pumped milk you can feed it with a spoon, cup, or dropper so he isn't getting bottles. You can call a LLL Leader for help or http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I know lots of books say you can combine breast and bottle feeding and dad can bottle feed to help mom out and share in the feeding experience. These books are wrong. Anyone can write a book and they don't have to have their info approved.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Him fussing at your breast is exactly what will encourage your milk supply. I recommend dropping the supplements and just nursing on demand, even if he JUST ate. 3 weeks is a big growth spurt and if you keep supplementing, it is possible that your supply will drop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It takes a lot of coordination to eat and breathe and fart and be so adorable. It sounds like you making plenty of milk. Babies gulp down bottles bc They flow faster. They are easy. Keep at it. You will both get used to it.

Stop the bottles until you have to have to have to use them. Help his sucking muscles grow and your supply stablize.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010