how are working parents supposed to deal with kindergarten?

my brother is a single dad to a kindergartner. Her class is from 9:30a - 12p. There's no latchkey for kindergarten & he can't afford all day. Her daycare can't take her, how is this supposed to work for working parents?

Ashlynnsmommy07

Asked by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in

• wow..our kinder' is 8:15 to 2pm and then they offer afterschool care on campus for a fee. He is going to have to trade with another parent or pay someone....how old is she...Kinder is optional...if she is 6 maybe she can start 1st grade (but wow, they move fast).

surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• He has to make arrangements. My kids took the school bus to daycare. Find a daycare that can take her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Could he trade something he can do for childcare with another parent?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It is a pain, I wish they'd go to all day K here. My sis is a single mom and my niece is in 3 different programs from 7:30 - 3:30. There's a before school program, then a morning daycare run through the Y and then K from 12:45 - 3:30. Then she's going to walk to my house with my kids or she'd have to do the after school program - which is great that they have it, but yet another fee and program.

Your brother is just going to have to ask around about an afternoon daycare - there surely must be one that will take her for the 1/2 days. I mean there will be kids in the afternoon K that aren't using that afternoon spot. I know there are daycares here that offer 1/2 time daycare spots for K kids.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Some daycares have pick up services, he might look into that?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Even all day does not usually fit a regular work day. Most people work 8 hours add an hour for lunch. Even all day school is usually only six hours.
    There are many daycares that pick up and deliver to the schools. Ask the teacher if she knows of a mother that would like to earn some extra money to babysit.
    Single and working mothers have been dealing with this forever.
    Do you work? Can you or another member of your family help out.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:02 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i hate to say it... but most working parents, single or with a partner, have to deal with this... and for a long time...
    they find after school programs, day cares, families, or friends to work it out with... it's not easy... me and my SO work... my oldest is in school 3 days a week only 2 .5 hours a day... we had to find someone to take her to and from school, and watch our 2 year old as well... and it had to be affordable...
    where there's a will there's a way... there are lots of programs... maybe he could talk to other parents of kids in her class... i'm sure he's not the only one in this situation.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• has he looked into whatever aid might be offered to help pay for after care/all day ?? Other than that someone he can trade/bargain/pay for pick up and care...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• He needs to see if he can find a daycare that's in the school's attendance area. They would be more likely to be willing to come pick her up when her day is over. At my school we have half day and full day kindergarten. We don't offer latchkey for morning kindergarteners. If he can't find a daycare, then maybe he can find another parent from her class that would be willing to watch her until he gets home.

Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 6:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Wow, I've never heard of Kindergarten like that. For us, it's preschool that can be the issue. They go half a day and cannot ride the bus. Our kindergarteners ride the bus and go a full day like the rest of the grades. Preschool isn't required here, but kindergarten is. I would check into a different day care and asking the school about "after school" care for the kindergarteners. Perhaps by talking with the school maybe they would start something or be willing to help him out!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:30 AM on Sep. 13, 2010