how do you deal with a kid who refuses to leave her room?

wvamomma

Asked by wvamomma at 8:03 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• did u ask her y she doesnt want to leave her room i think u should talk to her
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 8:07 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i dont understand your question...i say leave her alone she feels comfortable in her room and at the age of 9-12. i would cherish it cause young girls who are out and about now adays are experimenting with alot of things and are even sexually active. if she isnt bringing harm to herself and or isnt rebelling against any rules in your house it shouldnt be a problem.
    MinnieMoni

Answer by MinnieMoni at 8:08 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Plan some family things that she has to participate in. Dinners, games, outings. As long as she's not depressed & not using drugs, then it's normal for kids (tweens & teens) to retreat to their rooms. Just be sure to monitor her internet & cell usage tho, so she's not talking to any sick strangers. Welcome to the wonderful world of parenting a teen!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• tweens tend to become very moody creatures, my daughter is 11 and sometimes I just have to ask her to come down and be socialable...my daughter does have the dx of aspergers though.....she also does not have a computer,tv,or electronic gaming system in her room(like Wii) ...if your child has all that they may not see any reason to come out of their room.....you dont say whether or not thats the case.....so talk with your child , find out whats going on in their life and if the latter is the cause...pull the items out of their room...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 8:14 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She is 12 and she doesn't want to get up in the morning, doesn't want to go to school, doesn't want to come out to eat. When she does come out she is mean and hurtful to mostly me but sometimes to the dog and her sister. She refuses to go anywhere and doesn't want to talk to me, but if she does it is very mean and derogatory.
    wvamomma

Comment by wvamomma (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She needs help. Something is definitely going on with her and you need to do everything to find out and help her through this. That being said. Next question, how? Visit the school, talk to her, get her professional help. This is so hard, there is such a need to get to the bottom of this. But no shovel. How?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:09 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• well she's entering a stage. Trying to find herself. She's not a little kid anymore and its all starting to happen....young adult years. On the up side at least you know where she is. I'd just give her space. I know its driving you nuts. It would me too.

Sometimes I wish I could have more space (my kids are always in my face yapping), then again I have to be careful what I wish for cuz I don't want them to isolate themselves like yours, either.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• Tweens are snotty hormonal little beasts at time ... they really do make a shift in behaviors and choices and attitude. She doesn't have to "want" to get up in the morning and go to school, but she still has to do it. It's pretty normal for this age to retreat to their rooms. Just keep an eye on her, monitor her activities (computer in her room? cell phone?), and do not allow for the rude inappropriate behaviors.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:09 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If it was my children I'd be a little concerned if they were all of sudden acting this way. My boys rarely go to their rooms to be alone if at all, they enjoy our company and we are always hanging out in the kitchen or living room together. The only time my oldest son goes to his room is when he is angry with me or upset about something at school and wants alone time, I give him that time and attempt to talk to him later about it.
    Could she be going through something at school or with friends? I'd attempt to go in her room and tell her you're concerned. Ask her if there is something bothering her, tell her you love her and you're worried and want to help. It may not help at first but I would try that. I never came out of my room but I hated my father, couldn't stand him so I rarely spent time with my family, and there was nothing my mom could have done.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 13, 2010