How do you get your kids to eat totally healthy?

I"m talking about oatmeal and veggies .....I"ve got a couple of picky eaters on my hands. When they refuse to eat the good stuff do you give in and let them eat the same old same old mac and cheese and/or hot dogs with fruit?.....
Anyone ever made the transition? How did you do it? Thanks!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 8:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Simply put, I don't get them to eat totally healthy. I pick my battles. My kids still love their mac n cheese, graham crackers, etc so I let them have those foods in moderation. But if I make veggies or something else that they don't want to eat with a meal, they have to finish their "no thank you" helping before they get anything else. You'd be surprised how long a toddler can put up a fight over two carrot sticks. :-P It's ridiculous. But in the end, it's worth it because they are learning to try new things. I also take them shopping with me and let them help pick out foods. We discuss when something is just a "treat", and which things "make your body really happy"! The more involved they feel, the more likely they are to be willing to try the foods later.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:24 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• we only offer "good" things to eat... instead of mac n cheese, find an organic or whole grain mac n cheese... instead of hot dogs... try turkey dogs or something like that.
    we don't offer sugar filled foods, or other junk foods... we just don't have them in the house... while its a fight at first, kids won't go hungry...
    have you tried oatmeal cookies? frozen yogurt? or dipping fruit into yogurt?... add fruits to the oatmeal to make them more "yummy", offer a dip with veggies... my girls will eat anything if they have ketchup for it! we make homemade ketchup and let them have as much as they want, if it means they are eating their broccoli!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Kids won't starve themselves. You are the parents. They will eat what you put in front of them (especially if you don't give them any other options) Offer them healthy food let them know they have to at least try it before they decide they don't like it (staticly speaking a child need to try something at least 5 times before they can truly say they don't like something.) If you don' want a full blown battle on your hands start small. Add a " healthy choice with one of their favorite foods. Start with small portions. And let them know they have to at least try it. Good luck.
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 9:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• lol, they don t. Tell me if you find a way
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Don't buy the stuff you don't want them to eat. I have never made something else for my kids when they didn't want to eat something - I'm not a short-order cook. My kids have really never been picky though.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:05 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't offer alternatives, either my daughter eats what I cooked or she doesn't eat but 9 times out of ten she eats what she is served - if she doesn't want is served then she can eat an apple or banana but not junk - we don't even have any in the house.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• don't offer alternatives.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• start when they are 4 months old
    hadassah1582

Answer by hadassah1582 at 12:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• at this age you still have a lot of power. You buy the food, you make the food, you serve the food. Eventually they will eat the food. I would NOT cut out all "unhealthy" foods. I would wean them off it.

Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• If you don't keep nasty stuff in the house then there is not an option but to eat the healthier things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2010