At what age do time outs start to mean something as punishment?

My friend's daughter is 9 months old, and she gets time outs. Is she to young? Would it be better to just say No?

soccerfanatic14

Asked by soccerfanatic14 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i start my kids at 1yo. i can't say what's right for her daughter.... every kid is different and responds to different things. i could tell my daughter no until i'm blue in the face and she would not listen. say stop or you're going to time out and she stops.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• You should first say "No", then the time out should come if the child refuses to obey. Time Out's should start as early as the child starts testing their bounderies. My daughter is 10 months old and has gotten her first two time out's in this last week. Her new thing is to press the buttons on the TV, which she learned from her older brother. My son no longer does it, but he definately passed on the idea. Since giving her two time outs she doesn't do it nearly as much. I am a firm believer that children as young as four months can understand "No" and time outs if given consistantly.

I do agree that every child is different and responds to things differently. Some children may not use that as a threat, others cower at the mere sound of a time out. It depends on the child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We started time outs with my daughter when she was 18 months old. We put her in a corner for 1 1/2 minutes. Before then I felt she was too young to even stay there when told to. But every kid is different and I don't know when we will start with my son.
    bbchic

Answer by bbchic at 8:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I THINK.. SOON AS THEY CAN COMPREHIND WHY THERE IN TIME OUT....
    oney68

Answer by oney68 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think a quiet time is better than a time out per say at that age. When my DD would acted up we started around 8 or 9 months old, and would tell her no, firmly, and then we would have a minute of quiet time. Where I would remove the object that caused it, or remove her from the room if I couldn't remove it (like if it was the button on the TV). Quiet time would just be a minute in her bouncy chair so I could do try to get rid of the problem and find a replacement toy. lol.

At that age they really don't understand stuff like that that well, so a quiet distraction can be better, But implying no is never really to early.. when they catch on they catch on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:01 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I have a 9 month old and a time out for him would be impossible....but I do tell him 'no' and he knows what it means and what I'm talking about....I may have to say it once or twice cause he'll test me but he gets the point and stops.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• we started with our boys around 1. they cried a lot and still do. but they know they did something wrong when they are in timeout.
    tcmaneen

Answer by tcmaneen at 4:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010