Are your parents good

grandparents? I think my son's grandparents suck...they don't spend time with him, they don't come over, they don't call him, they don't really ever give him presents (b-day, christmas etc..)and when we go their it does'nt seem like they are sooo excited to see him. It's one of the things in my life that's bothered me a lot so sorry for writing sooo long!

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 8:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• my mother is dead, but i know she would have been a wonderful grandmother. my dad is still living and he likes to spend time with the kids when he sees them. i know it sounds mean, but sometimes when people get old they don't feel like spending time with kids anymore..... like they've done their duty (raising kids) and now they're done. obviously not all people are like that but i know quite a few people who have that kind of mentality. hope i'm not like that lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My parents are wonderful! Not only as my parents, but as Grandparents as well. They have helped us out in soo many ways in the last three years. There isn't a way that I could thank them enough. They live two hours away, so they come up about once (sometimes more) a month to visit with us and the kids. They always offer us to go out and have date nights while they babysit too. They spoil us and the kids and I've never asked them to do any of that. They really enjoy their time with their Grandchildren and us.

Dh's Grandparents well that's another story. They live 15 minutes away and they haven't seen our kids in a few of months. We went camping with them in July and that's the last time they saw the kids. They have very hectic work schedules, but even on their down time make no effort to come and visit. We are always the ones to go visit them and we don't do that very often, as we feel we shouldn't have to everytime.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• We have to ask for the kids to come over.Grandma is only in her 40's and her husband is only 36! SO they are not really "grandparent" like! We just learned not to depend on them actually inviting the kids over- the one time she did do that was to go a pumpkin patch around halloween. When she does have the kids she only wants them for a couple hrs.We had to cut our honeymoon short cause she thought 2 days was "so long" with my son (her step son). I know I am going to be a better grandparent then mine were and theres are.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 9:06 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My parents are wonderful grandparents i sometime think back and think that they are better grandparents then they were parents. My Parents did there best for my sister and I growing up we didn't want for nothing but they also were gone a lot. My family (grandparents and my parents owned a pizza shop and store. So they worked a lot. My In-laws they need some work with DD they call ever once in a while they come to b-day parties and come around for x-mas but other then that if something is going on they call last minute or don't call at all. For my step-children they play a bigger part in there lives but since my SIS children have moved in with them they haven't had much time for themselves much as anyone else but they know we are always doing something here at least once a weekend so they know our door is always open for them to come over. My SIS has gotten her shit together but they are living there still.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My father and FIL are both deceased, but my MIL is wonderful with my son! Unfortunately, my own mother has nothing to do with him. I think it's because she's afraid of his autism. Believe me, autism is NOTHING to fear! It's ok, though, it's her loss, not ours! She's missing out one one AWESOME kid!!!!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:18 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My parents don't see my kids very much. They were awesome with my first child but they were a lot older when my last two were born and by the time the kids were four and five they weren't up to spending time around them much. But they always remember birthdays and give them treats. Jim's mother died when my kids were babies and before that she was sick. Jim's dad never bothered much with any of his grandchildren. He likes kids but not the noise.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 8:39 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My parents and DH's MIL are odd grandparents, especially compared to the by-the-book grandparents DH & I had growing up. My parents' house is a disaster area, their A/C has been broke for like 3 years so neither of my kids have ever stepped foot inside it. My parents will take DS out to the movies or we'll all go out to dinner but that's about it. DH can't stand having them over at our house because my mom trashes everything and neither of them do anything to help out (like if we've invited them over for dinner). In short, they're lazy. Then they stay around forever. My MIL used to keep DS quite a bit, even on weekends, but she got too wishy-washy for that. Everything has to be on her terms or it's not going to happen, then she complains about never seeing her grandkids.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My mother and step-dad haven't seen my kids since Feb. 2009 but that is all their doing. That is a long story but unfortunately my mothers husband will always come before her only child even if her husband was in the wrong. That is the way it has always been throughout my childhood. On the other hand, my in-laws and fathers/step-mom are very active in my kids lives.
    frugalistamom2

Answer by frugalistamom2 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My parents are awesome. If everybody had my parents, the world would be a better place. I am not bragging, I just wish everybody had parents like mine.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I think my sons grandparents suck! Except for my FIL who spends plenty of time with him... And my mother who adores him and spends plenty of time with him as well...
    Momie09

Answer by Momie09 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2010