do you shelter your children against 9/11 and what happened that day?

this is really for some of the parents with older school age children that were not born or were just born when that happened but are now school age. i have two nephews and i know my brother tries to shelter them against those bad negative things in world. but what if they ask. my nephew asked about something else and this just popped in my head and i just told to ask him parents. so i was just wonder what else would do if they came up with your childre. my nephews are 7 and 8

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 8:33 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• i'm sure they're going to learn about it in school so what's the point of trying to keep it from them? i'm not sure why everyone is still so torn up about it.... it's been 9 years now. i'll probably get bashed for saying that, but it's the truth! time to move on imo
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Again, it's a tragic event. I do not dwell on it, nor do I let my family dwell on it. It's the same for me as any other event in history. If you sit around and dwell on it, then the terrorists have won.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No, I don't.
    I think it's important for children to learn about important events in history, and I'd much rather they hear them from me than from somebody else.
    My daughter is about to turn 8 and she knows quite a lot about 9/11 because I talk openly with her about it and answer her questions.

I just feel that if she's old enough to ask the question, she's old enough to know the answer.
    eribbear

Answer by eribbear at 8:37 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i am sorry princessbeth i voted you down. are you american? yes i am the one that will bash you. i can't believe you would think something so heartless. wow. you must not have a heart .
    lambdarose

Comment by lambdarose (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Why should we shelter them from this? It is history and they are going to learn about it in school, just like the world wars, the civil war, slavery, the crusades. It isn't pretty, but it is important we educate our children, not hid them from things like this.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:48 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• yes, sweetie i am full blooded american. i was even very close to nyc when it happened attending college at rutgers university in new brunswick. it was sad at the time, but 9 years is more than enough time to grieve. i am not heartless just because i don't see the point in being obsessed with one event. and smooches for the downvote.... hope you give me another ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't have school age children, but I am going to answer this as if I did. I think that it's important for every child to know their country's history and the history of other countries their country has been involved with. Good and Bad. It's important for children to know where they come from, what they've faught against, and what they stand for. This helps children find a place in the world and in their own neighborhood I believe. My kids will know this country's history for the facts of what it is. They will know about the countries the US has been involved with, again for the facts of what it is, and they will then be able to form their own opinion. I don't want to raise my kids ignorant to the country they live in.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• My kids are 17 and 10; my teen remembers when it happened and we've talked about it. My 10 year old only knows about it from news reports but we've talked about it as well. I don't shelter my kids from anything, rather using these opportunities to talk and teach and inform and allow them to inquire about the world and their place in it also.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:51 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• I teach it "gently". It is important to teach them about history, but it's also important to be sensitive to their feelings. My daughters lost a father to death, so we carefully discuss the huge loss of life on that date.

As for "9 years being enough time to grieve" - actually, for the families, there is never "enough" time to grieve ... these losses are with them for the rest of their lives. The. Rest. Of. Their. Lives.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 9:22 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• we are army,. and my children embrace the day, and if your dont, have no respect for you! There are so many soldiers, families and more who have died at, or for 9/11. How dare you not teach your children to be thankful fr those people!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2010