Should a Varsity Coach be playing the team to win or to allow equal amount of time for each player?

In my opinion, it is a Varsity Sport so they should be playing to win.

The opportunity to play everyone and get equal time to see if they are any good or to give everyone the same opportunity to see if they like playing should happen at the Middle School level. If it is not offered at the Middle School level, then on the Freshmen team or Junior Varsity team.

Once they reach the Varsity team and made the team they should be playing to win.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My hubby coaches varsity football and he does coach to win, but not at all costs. This past week they had quite a few players miss practice on Mon - because of the holiday they didn't realise there was practice. So those player, most first string starters, missed the first half of the game Friday. They lost the game, though they "won" the second half, but the first half killed them. So while they would have likely won if they'd started those kids the policy is if they miss a practice (unexcused) they miss a half. Sometimes it costs them the win, but as much as they want the win there are bigger lessons to be learned and they are trying to put out good young men - not just good football players. And of course the focus is always on the fact that they are STUDENT athletes, there's a reason the word student comes first.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Playing to win most definitely. Also if they don't win it could put some of the kids out of opportunities that they'd get if their team was more successful.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I appreciate both sides of the argument.
    My son is a big boy always has been so coaches in the past have played him alot. And when it is 105 outside he really needs a break and seldom gets one in football or baseball as a catcher, he literally wears full gear and a helmet 10 months a year. All kids need to play in rec sports or smaller leagues. However, in travel ball where parents spend a lot of money or school sports, coaches need to win. Or they lose jobs and funding and booster support. Losing is no fun, when it keeps happening.
    I am biased, my kids are athletic and I hate to lose, so I vote for the win each and every time-but there were many days when my boy really could have used a break and let someone else play a few innings. Good question!!!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The coaches job is to WIN games and playoff titles for the school. If he doesn't do that, then he is sure to be fired at the end of the season.

Kids on Varsity should be "Good players" anyways.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:45 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Varsity - players try out - they must pass "the muster" and they should play to win!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• In varsity it should be let the strongest players play. They're there for the recognition,for the scholarships, usually. There's community ball for letting everyone have an equal turn...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Play to WIN!
    Only during young childhood do i think coaches let everyone play equally..
    There is this soccer in our area "FFPS" "Fun, Fair, Positive, Soccer"... Were everyone gets = time on the field & there is no score.. I thought one good thing about kids playing sports is good competition? learning to play fair, understand losing is OK.. and such? But whatever. Guess im getting off topic?! lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Around here, the mentality is "play to win" starting at the freshman level; the junior high mentality is a bit more focused on skills and learning the game. What I personally wish the high school coaches would do is adhere to the eligibility rules (maintaining qualifying grades and abiding by the code of conduct rules) - too often, these infractions are simply ignored because an athlete is a star player and the coaches are too focused on "play to win" or division and state championships.

FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:20 AM on Sep. 12, 2010

• The varsity is the very best and should only paly to win .
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• The job of a coach is to win. Sometimes people need to realize they can't have everything in life. Coaches are great for that.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010