What in the hell are American hikers doing in Iran of all places?

Taking a vacation? Was backpacking across western Europe too much of a risk for them? I mean why the hell would anyone just leisurely go to Iran to hike? That's stupid.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 8:42 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• exactly and honestly i don't feel bad for them. like they didn't know that was going to happen? get real
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They weren't in Iraq - they didn't realize they had crossed the border. This is OLD news!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• No they were in IRAN! IRAN! ANd it was on the news today twins.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They walked into Iran by accident they claim.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• They have been held a long time already. I wonder if the reason it is on the news is to ensure we do not forget they are being held over there. I hope all works well with them being released.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've often wondered the same thing. That area of the world is so volatile and seems to be anti-American (although without being there, I can't say that for sure). I'm not sure if someone could pay me to take a vacation over there. Who knows what was going through their minds when they made the decision to hike in Iraq and if they really knew they had strayed over the border. If the area was as mountainous and remote as the news has made it out to be, then I seriously doubt there was a "Welcome to Iran" sign on the trail.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Again, why the hell would you just leisurely hike in Iraq or anywhere in the bumble-fuck middle east in the first place! No one wants to go over there unless they're forced to by the government! Idiots.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It may be todays news but they were arrested a YEAR ago. They thought they were in Iraq. They are college students. It is heartbreaking, one of them is from MN and it is really sad! shame on the poster who doesn't feel bad!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I don't feel bad for them. They shouldn't have gone into a war zone. They should've taken their spring break somewhere else.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• If they were college students than they should have the brains to know that it's a dumb idea to take a vacation in a "hot spot" like Iraq.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 11, 2010