Two year old having serious jealousy issues... Getting unbearable...

I have five kids, soon to be six, so I'm no stranger to jealous children when another comes along but my 2 year old currently is going absolutely crazy about it.. I think it might be because I'm on bedrest as well and she feels that it's detrimental as I can't take her out etc...

So anyway the story today - My husband took them all out for a day out at the zoo, 2 year old DD refused to get out of the car when they got back and managed to lock herself in (silly DH) so around an hour later she comes in and starts punching me and everyone etc and just won't stop... There have been similar incidents to this for months now. I've told her all about babies, I've bought her picture books about how it'll be important to her and she'll be important in their life & I've even taken her to classes with me during the pregnancy but nothing seems to work and it's getting unbearable.

Any ideas?

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 9:10 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How is she around tiny babies? I would bring her around babies before you have the baby and see how that goes and then explain to her that is what is in your belly and your gonna have the baby and then it is gonna be with you all forever. She sound like she is having a hard time with momma being in bed all the time and is pretty pissed at everyone. You may want to speak to her doctor about this and see if he/she had any ideas.
    Congrats on the new baby coming i hope all gets better with your LO.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• have you tried time outs? Or taking away toys when she acts out?

My daughter went through a phase of toy breaking (a very short one). WHen she broke the first one, she went into time out, the second time I took away her toys for a few hours.. ALL of them. We sat down together, and she was only allowed her crayons and some paper. And we talked. I told her why her toys were gone, and when she could get them back. I reintroduced one to let her begin playing with it so long as she treated it properly. When she was done, I asked her if she would like another toy. She said yes, so we put the old toy away, and brought out another toy.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Also try to make a special time with her. I know you are on bed rest, but you can try having a special hour with eat kid, with something like a reading time between just you and them. It helps remind them that even though you are down and out, you still love them, and sometimes they are just acting out for the attention.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:26 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I've tried the ordinary punishments but it's difficult to implement them when it's mainly DH controlling downstairs. He's far too lax with them. Thank you for your information so far ladies though I might just copy and paste then print it and give it all to DH - perhaps he'll listen more to others than me ;).
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Dad has got to be on board. Sounds to me like the 2 yr old is getting away with a lot that you would never tolerate. You have to be sensitive to the new baby issue but you have to do it without compromising the standard discipline. Dad needs to be on the same page as you or they will all start to work it until you're ready to throttle them all, including Dad. If doing ABC means you would get XYZ punishment from Mom..it has to be exactly the same with Dad. No more lax, no more harsh.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:32 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• It could be that she is just trying to figure out how to show her frustration. You might want to give her a couple of out lets to do this. Her world is being changed and to her it could be a traumatic feeling.

Something that may help is to give her a baby doll of her own to take care of when you have the baby. Give it to her just before you have the baby so that she can learn how to care for a baby and take care of hers while you take care of your new baby.

Another idea might be to come up with something that only you and her can do during this time while you are on bedrest. Something that she thinks is special that she can look forward too.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010