cold during pregnancy

I am pregnant and I've had drainage problems for the past three weeks. I am not able to cough up the drainage. And that leaves me no choice but to swallow it. Can this hurt or pose danger to my baby?

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• nope its fine, i had sinus infections w this one and id have a tone of drainage and they said its fine i did need antibiotics through bc it wouldnt clear up
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:15 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• it could make you feel queasy for sure, but it won't hurt the baby. have you tried washing out your sinuses with saline? that works great with me..... tilt your head over the sink and do one side at a time. i hate having to swallow all of that junk.... makes me queasy just thinking about it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank you both for your answers!
    cmcook89

Comment by cmcook89 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Yes, try a sinus cleaner with saline like the Netipot and use a humidifier at night too.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 9:43 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Thank you for your comment. I have tried both and they did not work. do you have cold/sinus problems? Also what dangers can it pose to my baby? This is my first pregnancy and it worries me.
    cmcook89

Comment by cmcook89 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I had sinsisitis at the beginning of pregnancy and it wouldnt go away and eventually turned into brohncitis. So I would def. go to the doctor for some antibiotics. It wont cause any danger to baby just will make you feel like poop. They will probably priscribe you the z-pak and that works pretty quick. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• A neti pot is a totally safe and drug free way to clear you out, if you are so backed up that you cant get the water to go through, try steaming yourself a little in the shower and then do it.

Drinking plenty of water will help thin the mucus so you can get it out easier.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:00 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I was stuffy, congested, coughing, and had serious draining from September 6 thru December 12 last year while pregnant with my third. Every single day through those months. It was HORRIBLE. I "slept" sitting up on the couch, in our basement, so I did not wake the entire household with my non stop snot problem. It was honestly the worst 3 1/2 months of my life. Just terrible. I bet you are having a boy! Hope it passes soon....hang in there!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010