What would you do?

Ok to start off we keep beer in the house, DH and I unwind late at night os some weekends after the kids are in bed have a couple beers with some pizza rolls and clear off the DVR, we do not get drunk in the slightest bit, we just unwind. My MIL watches the kids Maybe once a month if that so DH and I can have "us" time. My MIL and FIL go to the bar 2-3 times a week so they drink plenty. FIL is NOT allowed at our house or around our kids due to previous things. Every time his mom comes over she ends up drinking our beer, she isn't drunk when we get back but close. My 3 year old just came up to me bringing a beer can telling me it needs to be cold for Nana. He is too young to be doing that. I told hubby he hasn't reponded. My question is do I just take all the beer out of the fridge so she doesn't get almost smashed, or just ask her to stop coming over all together? She is our only sitter which is why the visits are very few.

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 9:17 PM on Sep. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just not have beer in the fridge then there's not much she can do and you wouldn't want to risk friction. As long as there are no other concerns just remove the beer.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:19 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• i would be honest with her and tell her if she is going to babysit she can NOT drink. if she cant control herself maybe she needs some help.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Personally she would get 1 warning..and tell her if she's gonna drink to get up and get her own fucking beer...your son bringin you or ur dh a beer is one thing....but last time i checked he's not a bar tender...And if she's gonna drink ur beer she should pay for it. but if she's gettin loaded she needs a kick in the ass!
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• She shouldn't be drinking around the kids at all if she is responsible for properly caring for them. She is altering her judgement when she drinks and therefore her reaction time is slower and such. I'm not saying one or two beers is going to make it take her ten minutes to get to the kid if they break a bone, but a responsible adult would know not to drink if they are sitting.
    Also, the child may just realize this is the drink that his NaNa likes to drink and that she likes it cold. To them it is like her juice, and she likes to drink her juice cold. It comes across as more offensive to us as adults because we KNOW what beer is and what it does to people.
    Good luck on figuring this whole thing out! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would get the beer out of my house, and if she ever brings it with her, she's done. To do otherwise is simply to risk too much.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:21 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't allow her to watch the children anymore. I would bring this to her attention also. NO CHILD SHOULD BE BRING BEERS TO ANYONE. They are children, "not servers" i would be pissed.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:22 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• I would just take the beer out and not have her watch them quite so much.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:25 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Austin'sMommy our kids will NEVER bring us beer, they do not see us drink, if by chance a kid wakes up while we have one we hide it and help them back to bed and sit with them until they are asleep again, unless at a party and everyone is eating and tossing one back then they will see us with one and that is once in a great while.

To the other Mom's she was given a warning already but she feels as though she is grandma and she can get away with it anyways.

Memigen you bring up a good point, he doesn't actually know it's beer, but when she drinks 6-8 of them in a 2 hour period, I think it is WAY too much regardless :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Comment by JAJA_Steele (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• Beer is being removed ASAP
    JAJA_Steele

Comment by JAJA_Steele (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Sep. 11, 2010

• @raemommy-i think that should be at the discretion of the parents. And age has a lot to do with..theres a big difference in a child who has no idea and a child who is say 10...or even younger..what is the difference between a can of soda or a can of beer if they don't know what it is?
    @mompam- not have her watch them quite so much..she said it's once a month or LESS.
    and in general....he's a toddler...he shouldn't be serving grandma....and toddlers love to share what adults have....if she's tipsy and sets her beer down what's going to stop him from takin a swig...
    the OP is a friend so i know more of the situation but personally her MIL is a self absorbed person who cares more about pleasing her husband so she doesn't get bitched at....OP doesn't get a lot of free time with the shift her husband works so she cherishes the time her MIL does watch the kids..but she can't risk her child being drunk when she get's home becaus
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 9:36 PM on Sep. 11, 2010