How long do the cord usually stay on a newborn?

My baby is 16 days old and his cord still hasn't fallen off yet and I don' know if it's normal for it to ta this long and what can do to make it comeoff faster.

DenirisS9104

Asked by DenirisS9104 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no more than 2 weeks, brooks was on for 9 days before it fell off
    Brooklyhnsmom

Answer by Brooklyhnsmom at 12:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• two to three weeks.. dont pull on it.. just keep it dry, its drying itself and then will fall off, my sons was hanging, and i didnt want to pull it off, so i was moving to cover it with some gauze and it came off.. he didnt seem to mind, cause i was worried that he was hurt, but nope.. he was about 17 days old
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I've known them to stay on as long as a month. My own kids were between 2-3 weeks when they lost theirs. There's not way to "make it" fall off any sooner. Just care for it as your dr. instructed and it will come off when it's ready.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:24 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my son can off in 3 weeks
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No more than two weeks. I was told to use alcohol and cotton balls to clean it off and to do it several times a day to help dry it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my sons came of right at 2 weeks. The alcohol on cotton balls really speeds up the process
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 1:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Kaylee's came off a little after 3 weeks (like, 3 weeks and 2 days). I was using the alcohol pads that the hospital provides, but really buying a bottle of rubbing alcohol and using a q-tip or cotton ball really enables you to soak it and help it dry out faster. Her's hung on by a little thread for a little over a day before it finally came off. I asked the doctor at her 2 week appointment about it, and she said that it was fine, that Kaylee was just born with a really healthy strong cord, and it taking a little longer to come off was to be expected. Don't pull on it! It will come off on its own. No worries!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• mine was 2 1/2 weeks. dont stress it will be soon. all babies are different.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• my sons fell off at two weeks.. OMG did yall ever realize how stinky it is??? i never expected that..
    mz_kara808

Answer by mz_kara808 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2008